Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by r_simonini, May 5, 2002.

1. Anyone have opinions on good EQ units. I have two basses and one needs to be strongly EQed against the other...

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Raven Labs True Blue EQ.

3. i have a boss geb-7 for sale... it is a slider eq pedal... check out musiciansfriend or www.rolandus.com for info. e-mail me or reply if you think you want it...

4. If you can find a Sholtz Snstrument EQ they are the most useful EQs ever.

5. that depends, the bandwidth is a bit narrow when it cuts a frequency, only scratching out painful little notches in your sound. That can be useful for clearing things up by taking out painful high-mids and ultra-highs that cause the translation between mids and bass frequencies to have a dry thud instead of a pleasent growl or more vocal qualities. It's extremly descrete, more so for enhancing your natural sound rather than drastically reshaping it.

If you want a more aggressive eq I still suggest one that's parametric, but with a broader bandwidth, that way you can center your frequency to a point where you're comfortable. Great for getting those picky smilie face slap tones or fat sounding mid range boosts.

6. no no no your all wrong, he wants the boss unit ;) :D :cool:

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, Bigfeet, you make a good point. With any semi-parametric EQ, you're at the mercy of the designer's idea of what is the best Q (bandwidth). Fully parametric EQ puts the Q in your hands. However, the Eden semi-parametric EQ works well, because it was designed specifically for bass applications. This probably isn't true of the True Blue. So I hereby retract my recommendation, pending further investigation into the allegation. I'll report any revelation at this station. How's that for mental mas ... uhhhh, never mind.