1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQD Avalanche Run - Question for Owners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flymo Wang, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    Hey TB - hoping someone can help me out here. I have an EQD Dispatch Master, and am very tempted with an upgrade to the Avalanche Run. There is nowhere I can try one out, so I just wanted to ask a couple of things - hopefully somebody with an AR can help (it would definitely help if you've also played a dispatch master)...

I love my dispatch master for volume swells / pads, but it doesn't cut it (for me) as just a delay, so hoping the extra versatility of the avalanche run will help out here.

1. the Dispatch Master repeats get quite lost when the reverb is turned up, and even with the reverb turned off, the repeats aren't that loud. Can you boost the volume of the repeats up to unity, so you can play off the repeats (U2 style??)
    2. Using the tone control on the avalanche run, can you make the repeats a bit more 'sterile' / more clear? I'm not wanting or expecting DD-3 levels here, but hoping the tone control can take this beyond the dispatch master...

many thanks!

2. I don't own the Avalanche Run but have spent some quality time with it in a local music store and I can definitely tell you that it takes everything about the Dispatch Master to the next level. While the reverb is not entirely tweakable it is very nice sounding. The delays though are where this thing shines. Now obviously I haven't played this with a band or in a mix but I didn't find that repeats were too dark or lost sounding at all and you do have the tone knob to help brighten them up. The mix knob does definitely help with keeping the repeats at or below unity level as well.

It's a fantastic pedal and short of moving to a pedal like the Nemesis or Timeline I would say that this is one easiest and best sounding delay pedals on the market!

3. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    cool, thanks, just what I wanted to hear :)

4. You're welcome! When the time comes to upgrade my delay I've basically narrowed it down to either the Avalanche Run for it's simplicity yet ability to get "out there", tone and the general awesomeness that is Earthquaker Devices or SA' Nemesis

5. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Jumping on this thread: all the demos I've watched/heard make it sound very...gentle? polite? Seems like everyone is using similar modes or that the Avalanche Run has an inherent delay/reverb modulation that gives a gentle quality to everything.

I play some jazz chords on 6 string bass and play with a good amount of dissonance or dark sounding scales. I guess my question is: can the Avalanche Run sound evil or depressing:laugh:?

On a related note - I've only been able to find clean tone demos. Anyone know how it is with distortion?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    I think most of the demos seem to try and display the combination of reverb and delay that the AR features. I had been bouncing between ideas for ambient soundscape delays and was completely sold on the AR after playing through it at Chicago Music Exchange. It does the ambient soundscape thing beatifully, and very easily, but also can be a very nice isolated reverb or delay pedal, with a lot of variety to the delays(especially when you factor in the expression and infinite repeat features).

I haven't used it in a band setting yet, and could see how the ambient stuff could get lost in a busy mix, but I don't think many users would be looking to utilize that feature set in such an environment anyway.

The more traditional reverbs and delays will absolutely hold up in a mix, and are very tweakable/controllable so as to fit any mix with tap tempo and very intuitive controls for the rate/decay/swell etc.

Hope that helps!

GentProvocateur likes this.