EQD Erupter fuzz -- anybody using?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arepa_funk, Dec 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. arepa_funk

arepa_funk

Nov 2, 2020
    Hey everyone, hope all is well. So I have the possibility of picking up an EQD Erupter in a trade and was wondering what you all thought of it. Seems to be pretty versatile for a one-knob pedal in the demos I saw.

Odds are that I'll use it primarily as a stacking pedal, with OD, envelope filter, and/or octaves.

Thanks!

2. I sold mine. It's an over the top, high gain fuzz that only has one volume level....LOUD AF. This is all well & good except that I have other pedals at normal volumes.

It's great for some blistering White Stripes or Black Keys (on guitar, obviously).

arepa_funk likes this.
  3. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    It's only really usable if you're going to have it on all the time, thanks to the massive uncontrollable volume boost. Same goes for the Acapulco Gold.

Rolling Thunder and arepa_funk like this.
  4. arepa_funk

arepa_funk

Nov 2, 2020
    Got it, thanks for the words! Had no clue its volume boost was so pronounced. Hmmm, might have to get out of the trade after all.

5. Yep, both are a Sunn T amp-in-a-box

6. The AG has a volume control though, so you can control it. On the Erupter the knob is a bias, but on the Acapulco Gold it's volume.

The Acapulco Gold is the Model T in a box. The Erupter is actually a modded Fuzz Face.

I owned the AG and have played my buddy's Erupter. They're extremely different sounding and neither is what you'd call ideal for bass. The Erupter is borderline unusable due to the lack of volume control. It sounds awesome but there are a lot of contexts in which it's either way too loud or way too quiet.

The Acapulco Gold works better with bass. The one knob is a volume control as stated earlier, so it doesn't have the same problem as the Erupter. However you kind of have to turn the volume on your bass way down in order to get the gain low enough. It's a cool pedal, I sold mine and miss it. It cuts a small amount of low end but in my opinion is viable on bass. The best way to use it is to keep the volume on your bass down almost to nothing and run the AG on all the time to make up the volume. It's a nice, loose, un-trebly overdrive sound and if you want crazy distortion you can turn up the volume on your bass. I found it too limiting to run my set up that way which is why I sold it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Swimming Bird, arepa_funk and cusar5 like this.
  7. Either the AG or the Erupter could be modded:

Erupter output: add a Master Vol pot between board-output and bypass.

AG input: add a pre-gain pot between bypass and AG-board's input.

arepa_funk likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021