Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQing a XS400 - Looking for a certain tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kennyhoe, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Hey,

I just got an used Yorkville XS400 head today, and it's awesome! It definitely beats the living shtuff out of the 400B I had before in terms of tone and versatility.

I've been trying to look for a certain tone. I'll try to describe it as best as possible. It will be a gritty, aggressive, punchy in your face tone, with a lot of bite to it. I will be playing with a pick through a Stingray and a 2x10 + 4x10 (Both Yorkville as well). The type of music this tone would suit is punk. Right now, I think I've got the right amount of tube gain and drive, but it's the actual EQ section that I need to work on.

The tone I'm thinking of resembles that of Mark Hoppus (don't hurt me, I like the TONE). Can anybody help?

By the way, the EQ controls are Bass, Low Mid, Parametric Mid (150 - 1.5k), High Mid, and Treble.

Thanks in Advance.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    try some experimenting and check out this thread

eq bassics

3. I'm not sure, but I think Mark has a mid scoop, not sure though. I'm pretty sure that Green Day's Mike Dirnt has the mid scoop, if that helps.

4. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada

Don’t forget the scoop control which has it’s center frequency at about 300 Hz which you can further scoop by putting the parametric mid frequency control at about 11 O’clock(300 Hz) and reduce the gain ccw to what ever you want.