1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eq'ing amp for home practice vs. live setting/recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabee, Apr 28, 2009.

1. How does your eq differ when you do shows versus when you are home practicing or recording?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The usual generalization is that people like a mid-scooped sound at home, but that sounds terrible (if you can hear yourself at all) in a live mix, where a mid boost is more effective. And when recording you should leave the EQ flat, because you can always add EQ adjustments to the recorded track, but you can't undo EQ that was in the initial recording.

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Mine stays the same regardless if I'm at home or on the stage. Mids boosted a fair amount with a very slight boost in some of the lows.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I run the Iamp flat with a little treble boost @4k, contour I and deep engaged. Same at home as in practice.

5. When I practice at low volume I like to boost the lows and mids slightly for a warmer/fuller tone per se. The higher the volume the flatter the Eq.

6. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Yeah!! What Bongo said!!!

7. Yeah!! What TheVoiceless said about what Bongo said. :ninja:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    At home, I usually adjust my stuff to have what I consider a flat sound with no treble past 5k, and on a gig, I usually adjust my stuff to have what I consider a flat sound with no treble past 5k.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Jimmy... You and I are going to get along just fine :p

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    What they said!:bassist:

I never understood why anyone would like that smiley face tone even when they are by themselves. You can't hear much of anything you are playing without midrange - I guess we are all different.

Live and in practice, I make sure to have enough lows, mids, and highs to hear my tone. I love a tone with a good amount of midrange in it - cuts through and you can almost always hear yourself.

Recording - flat tone and adjust later to the mix. You can't EQ out low end boosts or what not too well in the mixing stages.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mine are always set fairly flat, live i bump the mids.

12. BassSlave

BassSlave

Mar 2, 2006
    Chicago via Park Forest IL
    Endorsing artist: Sadowsky Basses & Dean Markley Strings
    That depends on how new/old the strings are at the time. usually I prefer flat settings on broken in strings, but for new strings I cut highs slightly and the older they get, I add highs to retain clarity in the top end. When I've boosted the highs past 3 o'clock its usually time to change strings. As far ass which bands to boost that is subjective and depends on whether I'm monitoring via headphones, studio reference monitors or speaker cab and even different band settings for my 4, 3, or my 2 x 10 (epifani) cabs.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I usually have subtle boost in two or three frequncy ranges. Usually push the Mids at home and push them more at gigs.

My low end is set for the room. In my home studio it eats Bass pretty well. When I get in some big boomy cavernous room I cut some of that low down down low.

I do most of this without thinking on the fly, I listen I adjust.

:bassist: