EQ'ing around crowd noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonnybass, May 20, 2007.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Scenario...crowded venue, lots of people drinking and talking and dancing and having a blast in Wrigleyville on a Friday afternoon after the Cubs smack the White Sox. VERY loud crowd and lots of noise.

So, the question is, any magical frequency range that a wall of chattering human voices will occupy? Just curious, because I'd like to try and EQ accordingly around it! Rather than just "turning up." :cool:

Lonnybass

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I wouldn't be suprised if the frequencies of a crowd chatting would be in the same bandwidth as the bass. In any case eqing around cround noise is just nit picking. Crowd noise probably varies to much to effectively eq against anyway

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 I doubt the crowd noise is going to be in the bass frequencies.

4. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
  5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    anytime you guys run into that situation you should just come play up here in racine, kenosha or milwaukee...LOL My backyard and basement are always available....I'll pay for the beer:D

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    its just white noise. punch up the lower mids, and kick your way thru. ;)

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    EQ, play the best you can to get crowd noise like "YEAH! YOU GUYS ROCK!"
    Be apart of the venue so everyone has a good time. Then their heads will turn and realize that you were partially responsible for their mirth.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Human hearing is most sensitive in the middle bandwidth of the human voice, though that bandwidth is more like 500-5kHz.

9. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Do like our band , play to an empty club every night.:)

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The good doctors at the Muffin Utility Research Kitchen have determined that the number of female dual soakers in the audience greatly determines which frequencies need to be, ah, elevated in order to respond to the challenge.

11. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior Supporting Member

Boost at 600hz.

12. HomeBrewTJ

HomeBrewTJ

May 16, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    I know that frequency, as it is frequently elevated. :)

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    EQing around crowd noise is difficult, I think you should go for pushing the PA System over the crowd noise. I would definitely get the people quieter because yelling over the roar of the band is tough to keep up. Bands playing and people talking - I see it as one or the other. I know I would not want to play in a venue where people had a choice.

Play Sweet Home Chicago (Blues Brothers style) and play crowd favorites - you might get the people to stop talking and start chanting with you guys.

Boosting the low mids will drive everyone nuts! It will literally muddy up the room and give everybody no choice but to listen to you. Worth a try!

Human voice generally sits in the 150hz-15khz range with most of the emphasis in the 200-700hz range.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've heard of bands losing a gig in the City of Chicago for playing that song...

Honestly Lonny, if Niki is working her magic, no one is paying attention to anything else ;)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021