EQ'ing my WT400 for my bass and 410XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Dec 9, 2001.

1. any tips on particular settings? I like a lot of low end, with a really punchy high end. i know it's a lot to ask for, but i think I can get the sound I want with some proper EQing, if i understand what it is i'm messing with.
    my equipment:
    ibanez SR405 (5 string) with full bartolini M4 pickups (deep) and bartolini preamps
    eden WT400
    eden 410XLT

i played a gig tonight, and though the sound is starting to get where i want, i could have sworn the cab was distorting. i'm not sure, but that's what i thought... so i'm hoping to get some tips on EQ settings so i can set the controls just right and get that perfect sound for our next gig
  2. I set mine basicly flat. 3-4 "clicks" goes a long way, so be very minimal with changes. I heavily doubt your rig was distorting, because Eden's are VERY clean (mine anyways), and i've never had it distort on me.
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah maybe the decibals were too powerful in the room and your ears started to "hear" distortion. It happens.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm with muttluk, Edens should essentially be set flat with only slight changes to accomodate different rooms. As to distortion, you may have the input level on the preamp set too high, especially with an active bass. You can defintely drive it into distortion if you've got the light on all the time. An unrelated question: which D410XLT are you using, 8 or 4 ohm?
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. Flat is the way to go. I find that pretty much flat, with only about 2-3 clicks in any direction get me any type of sound. Major tweeks seems to make them sound "funny"...
  6. i think it's the 8 ohm version. on the back it says
    "Model: 410XLT
    Serial: XXXXXXX
    RMS: 700 Z: 8

so i'm assuming the "Z" stands for ohms or something.
    i will try eq'ing it flat and seeing what i can get out of the bass. i have to learn both at once because of how i changed everythin (the pickups are passive, but the preamp is active. a lot more powerful than the old preamp).
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    With that amp, you're putting about 240 watts into a cab rated at 700 watts. Be very careful not to run the power amp into clipping or you're flirting with some expensive problems!
  8. yeah i know. i'm thinkin about getting an 8ohm 115XLT to balance it out, but for nowthat's more money i don't have.
    i was listening to the cab as i was playing it, and i figured out what was making the sound i don't like: the B string. when i start slapping on the B (like just hitting it with my thumb) the sound isn't smooth at ALL. it's very chunky. instead of being a smooth "MMMMMMM" it's like "BB BB BB BB BB BB". if it was a little less chunky, but still dirty, it'd be a great sound.
    so i need to EQ around that and EQ my bass too to figure out how to get a dirty but smooth B string sound, some strong low end and punchy highs without being too nasal sounding.
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    My gig rig is a WT-500 with a 410XLT and here's my EQ setup. Everything is set flat (including the enhance knob) and then I boost the mids at about 600H to suit the room. I find that the mid-boost cuts through the guitar and drums better.
    If I am using my '75 P in a large (ie:loud) room I may also cut the lows a bit as well to get more punch and less "root note emphasis". I also set the gain at no more than 9:00 o'clock with the P. When I use my RB5 I don't reduce the lows at all but I increase the gain to about 11:00 o'clock. In either case I use the master for volume.