1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eq'ing shuttle for EUB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Oct 4, 2008.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I'm trying to emulate more of a jazz pizz tone with my EUB on a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and could use some pointers. I realize this is a difficult task but I'm actually pretty close to the tone I'm after. I find the preamp gain and the mid freq and mid attenuation (not the button, the knob) are the most important.

I've found something that works pretty well but isn't quite there:
    Gain 1:00
    Volume: 11:00
    Bass 12:00
    Mid: 9:00
    Mid freq: 10:30
    Treb 12:00
    no freq shape switches

I'm using a BSX Allegro Acoustic with its eq flat, Correli strings and a Avatar SB112 Delta, although I also am trying this with headphones.

I find the mid cut to be the most important factor in getting the mwah out and more of a blooming tone in (which the tube gain knob helps with). The difficulty is in not getting too much boom with little note definition (which I find the mid cut button does too much of) The tone is sensitive to the preamp and the mid settings and the key I believe is in how those are dialed in.

I know this is a difficult thing to comment on so any general suggestions are appreciated. This is a fabulous amp btw

Thanks again

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Don't be afraid to ease the Bass knob back a bit to help with boom reduction. That Avatar cab has plenty of lows IIRC.

3. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics

duh! why didn't I think of that

In my attempt to simplify things I often eliminate options too early - not changing the bass and treble knobs is one of those

Thanks, I'll give it a try (even with the mid scoop button)