1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQing the Avalon U5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay, I lucked into another U5 and, by gosh 'n golly, I'm actually going to gig it as a lone preamp next weekend instead of flipping it as I did the last one. Here are my options...please feel free to discuss:

1) Add nothing. Use the bass's active EQ controls for the final tweaks and be done with it.

2) Stick a BDDI in front of the Avalon for a little extra flavor.

3) Stick a Presonus EQ3B PEQ after the Avalon to tame the bumps.

4) Any combination of the above.

So, what do you think?

Riis

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    #'s 1 or 2 have worked well for me in the past.

It depends on the voicing of the cabinet and how much you like the real sound of your instrument.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd want a little more control than the U5 offers. The Presonus sounds like the thing to use. The Sansamp wouldn't be my choice as the U5 is already very colored.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I may not have time to install the PEQ prior to Saturday but I'll give it my best shot. Have to agree that the BDDI may overwhelm the U5 but, as I understand it, the Level / Bass / Treble remain functional with blend set at -0-.

Technical problem...maybe. The EQ3B has both 1/4" and XLR outputs. Any reason both wouldn't be functional provided I'm feeding the PEQ a line level signal from the U5? I'd like to send the 1/4" to my stage rig and XLR to the board. I can't find any reference in the manual.

Riis

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Now there's something you don't hear every day.

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'd send FOH a mic-level feed from the U5, then also feed the U5's line-level output-->eq-->stage power amp. That way, you can use the presonus eq to adjust for odd stage sound w/o screwing up the FOH feed.