Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(Equal?) distance between strings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Stefan Boeters, Jul 1, 2002.

1. There has been some discussion about the distance between strings in the Bridge Setup/Adjustment-Thread, but one question has only be slightly touched on: When we say that there is equal distance between strings, do we measure from bound to bound or between the centers of the strings?

Of course, the best setup is the one that feels best for playing. Currently my bass is set up so that there is equal space between the bounds of the strings. This means, the centers of the G and D strings are closer together than A and E. I recently met a German bassist who strongly advocated the setup where the strings have equal distance between their centers.

I'm thinking about changing the setup. But before investing time and money, I'd like to know whether someone at TalkBass has experimented with the two different setups.

Stefan

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I prefer equal spacing measured from string centers, both on double bass and electric bass.

But that's just me...

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I also measure my strings from the center.

For lack of a better reason, it makes it easier for me to avoid worrying about changing anything when I put on a string that has a different diameter than the previous one.

I prefer my strings to be as far apart as possible from each other on my bass (1 1/4" string spacing), and I still like it better that way until I change my mind again. But that's just me - I'm still a beginner, I'm completely arrogant in my ways until I hear someone who makes some noise I want to mimic, and I'm not worried about offending someone's carefully crafted string spacing theory.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I set up all basses with string width measured from center-to-center. I think you make arco or pizz string crossings more evenly that way...