Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

equal output for all strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by adamaarts, Mar 17, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i currently play a Schecter Stilletto Elite 5 string bass, tund ADADG (dropped D with a low A) i notcie that when i play the low A and D strings i get a louder volume sound than with the other higher strings. this makes it difficult to play multi string bass lines, and kills the bass line in the studio.

anybody know a way to equal out the strings volume WITHOUT changing the tuning.

i know that lighter gauge strings are less solid but can be very floppy, so i cant really use lighter strings for the low A/D.

i was thinkng that i could either use heavier strings on the higher strings, or i as thinking to raise the action a tad on the 2 lower strings.

thanks for any of your input

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Have you tried lowering just the low-end side of the pickups under the lower/louder strings?...

3. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Slater sounds like the right answer to me... check the pick-up height.

-holding the string down on the 23rd or last fret of the neck, measure the distance at the pick-up

-your first / lowered 'B' to 'A' string should be about 3/32" off the pick-up

-the last / 'G' string, about 2/32" - 3/32"

Likely, as read your problem, the pick-up/s need to be lowered and / or raised respectively.

michael s.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Once you've lowered the pickups on the bass side, if you still have a problem you may have to look at your technique. Because you're dropping the lowest strings by a tone below their intended pitch, the tension will be even lower than it should be (bearing in mind that the B and E strings are the lowest tension strings anyway) and so will vibrate more freely and thus more loudly.

If you can't sort the problem out by adjusting your attack, try dropping the other strings by a tone or getting a more balanced set of gauges with thicker strings for the low A and D or thinner ones for high A D & G.

Alex

5. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    i almost forgot about the pickup height, thank for bringing that up. i will look at it on friday (my day off)

6. ADADG....wowzers

7. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    why do you say wowzers? too low? well i only tune that way since the guitarists in my band like dropped D tuning. and i have a low B, which is a better shape tuned to A.

now get this, one guitaris brought up that we should try tuning to C, tried it , my tuning GCGCF, now thats some shaky notes that low G

8. you should try tuning DEADG.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    *I* probably would have tuned my low B-string up a half step to C and went from there...:meh:

10. Excuse me, but I'm having real trouble getting my head around the need for that tuning. What can you play that cant be played with conventional BEADG tuning?

11. Pycine

Pycine

Jan 11, 2003
    Finally, there's somebody out there who uses the same tuning as me! (I use ADADGC on a sixer though, but the unusual part of it is still the same.

Other then the low Bb and A? Probably not much. But I'm in a band that uses a lot of drop D, and I find myself doing a lot of pedalling off of both D strings. I used a four-string in DADG, so when I got my six, I didnt want to change the way I played and wrote my basslines. So I tuned the B to an A, since its the only interval there that makes sense to me. Just because it could be written in standard tuning doesnt mean it should be.

12. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    reasons for tuning ADADG or GCGCF instead of standard

1. i used to play a four string in DADG tuning, and i got used to it

2. i like the chord shape

3. it feels more comfortable with my band, and some of our songs are difficult play in standard tuning (trust me ive tried)

4. i loive the low notes and use them regularly in our songs

5. i didnt spend good money on a five string to tune it like a four

13. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    First of all how is it different your 3 bottom strings are standard, you could keep the B the same and drop the E to D. keep it in tune with the guitars, what do you use the low A for? you could play that on a low D,C, or B but unless you play lots of opens i dont see the need for the low A. I used to tune C,G,C,F back in the day when i played basic music. But then I figured out that I can play most of that without the low tuning. But I guess people could say the same thing about me I play a 7 string conklin, F#,B,E,A,D,G,C but I use it all. anywho, adjust your pick-up height, and also string height comes could be adjusted.

14. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    like i said before, i use the low notes (including A) pretty often, and i like the chord shape, so tuning to B when i need an A or a G would not be one of my options.