Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Equalizers for bass:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jul 2, 2001.

1. I might well just build an equalizer preamp instead of a couple of other schemes I'd in mind. So I need a bit of advice, guys, please.

I'd like to know what equalizer centre frequencies are used on professionally made bass amps these days.

Thanks.

John

2. Check out:

http://www.rane.com

I use a Rane PE 17 parametric equalizer in my rack. It sits between an Alembic F-1X preamp and a Rane MX22 active crossover. My EQ is a set-and-forget type. It is used with a DB meter to provide true flat response for my cabs, and not changed for tone purposes.

Graphic EQ comes in both interpolating and non-interpolating types. The interpolating type is more desireable because it "fills in the blanks" (interpolates) between two adjacent sliders. For example, if you have the sliders for 40 and 50 Hz both pushed up to +6 dB, the interpolating EQ will boost all frequencies between 40 and 50 Hz to +6dB. The non-interpolating types will give you two peaks at 40 and 50, with a valley in between.

The parametric EQ are more flexible for controlling specific ranges. Mine has 5 bands that can overlap, and be as narrow as .03 octave, or a full two octaves wide. The parametric is much harder to visualize than the slider types.

Using separate components allows you to use XLR balanced connections for hum elimination. All components from the preamp to the power amp must support XLR to have a balanced system. Any single component in the chain using unbalanced connections will unbalance the whole system.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I highly recommend a parametric EQ for shaping your preamp tone. It allows you to select specific frequencies, bandwidths and levels. Check out the SWR SM series stuff if you are interested in EQ design. Those amps have a very functional and flexible EQ.

Interpolating EGs are cool in that they "fill in the blanks" However, there are occasions where you are looking to notch out very specific frequencies, so the non-interpolating would be more desirable. It really depends on your needs. I think there are a few upper end graphics out now with a switch that toggles between the two.

Look into parametric. If you can build it, I think you will be much happier with it.

Chas