Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Equation madness: 2x15 = (1x15) x 2 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    haha, of course it does! Mathematically...

But what about when it comes to cabs? I heard a 2x15 about a month ago with no PA support and it was hitting me hard from a good 15 feet or more. That I like. Would a pair of 1x15 cabs be just as effective? Less? More? I'd like to hear both theoretical and practical experience or insight.

Thanks!

-T

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    a 2x15 and and (2) 1x15's will sound different - they are different cabs...

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have 2 1x15's. They can still make the ground shake :cool:

I have not tried a modern 2x15, tho.

4. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you think they would go better stacked vertically or side by side?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would say stacked

i prefer 2 115's or 2 112's (this is what i have) as opposed to 215's or 212's......i don't know why, but i just do.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think your comparing apples to oranges so to speak. You have too many different cabs designs for the 1x15 and the 2x15 cabs that you just have to try them. I can tell you that my Trace Elliot 2x15 cab makes people flinch it hits so hard and tight.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's true as well

:)

8. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Right on...

So let's compare apples to apples then:

Ever heard a pair of Trace Elliot 1x15 cabs in comparison to your 2x15?

Or has anyone, for that matter, compared their 2x15 rig to a similar 2x115 rig? Or vice versa?

Or how about your 2x12 to a pair of 1x12's, and vice versa? Is the difference so detrimental you'd never do one or the other in place of it?

Curious.

-T

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    for instance, aguilar didn't intend to have the 2 gs112's sound like their 212's.....also, my back won't let me carry bigass cab's anymore...two small cab's are fine, though.

also my 2 112's sound tighter (plus i mixed two diff 112's)

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I heard som wise sage once utter that two speakers in the same cabinet picked up 3db by the coupling effect. Putting two identical cabinets together may or may not achieve the same coupling effect, depends dosen't it? How close do the speakers have to be to "couple" ? Maybe thats the question, not sure. Cant beat the portability of two seperate cabs though eh?

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    There is absolutely no way to determine which is better than to simply try both an decide.

There are too many equations involved to do this mathematically or physically, there is coupling of the speakers, on and off axis response of the two cab designs, the alteration of tone created by the addition of an isolated airspace for each driver, there's just too much to account for...

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I wish I could give you a (2)1x15 vs (1)2x15 Trace comparison. I have played through one 1153 cab (and all other equipment being the same) it was not as punchy, had more of a low end bias, and ofcourse it wasn't as loud. Thats the best I can give you. That being said I still really liked playing through that cab but I'll stick with my 1524 :D