1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Equifax is in some trouble.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    A security breach in March of this year.
    A second security breach affecting over 143 million U.S. consumers, as well as information on some Canadians and up to 400,000 British residents.
    In an effort to help affected customers, some employees of Equifax unknowingly directed them to a fake Equifax website.
    Now, reports are surfacing that Equifax execs sold off their Equifax stock ahead of the public announcement of the latest breach which now has them under investigation by the Department of Justice and FBI.

-Mike

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It gets so much worse... The website they directed you to (not their "basic" website - something with a different URL - exactly what a cybercriminal would do) required you to input the last 6 (not 4) digits of your SSN (exactly what a cybercriminal would do). And, it turns out, in some of their tweets they screwed up that new URL and actually DID send folks to a fake, non-Equifax URL.
    And the patch for the vulnerability through which they were hacked was available prior to the breach. They just hadn't bothered updating their software.
    A tale of negligence, cluelessness, and possibly criminal intent (the stock sales, at the least) at an amazing scale.

Dominic DeCosa and PWRL like this.
  3. bolophonic

bolophonic SUSPENDED

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Slap on the wrist.

back4more, kobass and MJ5150 like this.
  4. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    All you can do is freeze your credit report and hope you don't "win" the identity theft lotto.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There is so, so much more that you can do than this.

guy n. cognito, Gaolee and MJ5150 like this.
  6. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

They should be punished. For a settlement they should pay off everyone's debt. :hyper:

kodiakblair, twinjet, ICM and 2 others like this.
  7. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Please elaborate.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Refuse to owe anyone. ;)

I have a credit card for online purchases with protection and emergencies. And I have a fat wad of cash in my wallet. The former gets me by in a digital world. The latter protects me from identity theft. :thumbsup:

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Identity theft is also happening in the medical world, You'll also need to never get sick/hurt/injured.
    :)

-Mike

GregC likes this.
  10. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    I have zero debt....zero, no mortgage, car loan, credit card balance....zero. So you are saying I'm safe? :cool:

pacojas, btmpancake and two fingers like this.
  11. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    I get sick,hurt and injured daily.

bolophonic likes this.
  12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Safer than most, my friend. Safer than most.

kodiakblair and repoman like this.
  13. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    No wonder the security and IT heads quit.

14. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    What would be funny (sort of) is if this made our credit rating of EVERYONE unreliable and untrustworthy.

MJ5150 likes this.
  15. The people at Equifax are complete morons in my opinion.

Several years ago I was running a business out of my home and had a dedicated fax line. Over the course of about two years, I received literally hundreds of personal files of people, containing social security numbers, all banking info, names, addresses, yearly income... virtually ALL of these people's personal information from Equifax.

I tried faxing them back, telling them that they were sending all of this info to the wrong number, but it did no good, the faxes kept coming. I even tried contacting the financial institutions that were dealing with Equifax... but it was Equifax that kept sending them to me, so that didn't help.

I even sent some faxes to the people requesting the loans, to inform them of what Equifax was doing. But I have no idea if there was ever any fallout from that.

The faxes only stopped coming after I moved and changed my number. So, yeah, the competence level at Equifax is not high.

16. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I am in IT and worked on a PCI (Payment Card Industry) security implementation for one of the major cell phone companies about 12 years ago. One of the most important things I learned on that project is to never use my debit card (except at BANK ATM's and even that is not 100%).

And the reason is simple: If your credit card or debit card is compromised, in the end you will get the charges reversed. However, if your credit card is compromised it is a minor inconvenience. For the debit card, the money has been removed from your bank account. It means checks bounce, or recurring payments bounce, etc. It can be a HUGE hassle.

But I"m kinda with you regarding the whole credit thing, I DO have an account (pay a monthly fee) withe xperian. That one helped me once when I did get a huge claim against my credit score completely out of the blue. I was able to handle it easily because they include the phone number of the creditor, and I attacked it fast.

Gaolee and two fingers like this.
  17. Please excuse my ignorance, but I am fascinated by the continuous need by our friends south of the border, to stay on top of their credit score. I may be the exception, but I have never checked a credit score, never felt the need. I figure that if I pay everybody on time, I don't need to access my score. My financial institution has policies in place to cover us both, should any fraud occur, so I am legitimately confused by the constant advertising from U.S. companies about my/our credit scores.
    Fishheadjoe

PS... 100,000 Canadians are apparently affect by Equifax's blunder.

kodiakblair likes this.
  18. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    That's a great plan if you have money. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't have the savings that you do.

19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    True enough. But when I was mostly flat broke, I still didn't owe many people for long. If I did use credit, it was for a small amount for a short time. I also slept on a mattress on the floor at a friend's house for a short time instead of racking up debt to have my own place and an Xbox. When I did get my own place, I had the same mattress in the floor, a used couch and a small TV I borrowed briefly from my father's shop. I had plastic dishes I took from my mother's hoard that we had used as children in the 70s. I went to the grocery store almost nightly because I didn't know how my money would last until the end of the week. I would spend a few bucks on Tuesday night and hang on to the other $20-$40 to see how the rest of my week went. I might need gas to get to work. I might need bandaids if I cut my finger. So I can't buy $40 worth of groceries tonight. This whole time I had credits cards with limits over $10K in my pocket.

Most debt incurred today stems from stupid choices rather than needs.

You don't "need" a degree in African Studies, English Lit., Art History, Women's Studies or Anthropology for $110K. You don't "need" a new pedal. You don't "need" that coffee at Starbucks. I could go on.

You need shelter, food, transportation and sometimes light.

(By the way, that "fat wad" of cash I referred to earlier is a couple hundred bucks. I'm just a sarcastic bastard. :cool: )

pacojas, kodiakblair, twinjet and 3 others like this.
  20. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester Supporting Member

The debt we carry is our mortgage. It's tough to buy and maintain a house without at least a bit of debt. At least here in the great north wet it is. I occasionally have credit card debt due to cash flow matching issues with work travel costs (I have to spend the money to travel before I get reimbursed.) But that's it. The sooner we can pay off our house, the happier I will be, although there always seems to be something or another that needs to be done that I either cannot do or don't have the time off to do.

The whole thing makes me pretty nervous, as does the idea that criminals will ask for the last six digits of your SSN. I have seen that trying to follow up with the first round of breach from Equifax and may have unwittingly compromised my identity by assuming that somebody at Equifax was competent.

GregC likes this.