Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Equilibre

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Baryonyx, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, I've been listening to this album in detail, and I must say I am amazed. It has such character, and depth, yet is also very catchy. To be frank, I'm in love.

So, if I could just ask you Michael, what inspired the sunny feel that a lot of the album has? Tracks like Shuffle in and Turbograss have such a sunny bounce to them, they're fantastic.

So, in short, my thanks to Michael for providing us with this work of art (cheers for the Attention Defecit too!), and a quick question.
    :D

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, Chris! I’m glad you’re enjoying the CD. David Cullen is a fantastic musician. He’s lived his whole life in the Philadelphia area and his music is steeped in the tradition of Philly soul nylon string guitar. The tunes you mentioned are two of his compositions that really have that vibe combined with his own unique musical personality. I highly recommend that you check out some of Dave’s other recordings: www.cullenguitar.com. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I love that recording too.

I just took a peak at my itunes "most played" and that CD is my most listened to Manring project by quite a distance. Although the Carbone, DiPiazza Manring release is gaining - very musical stuff on there too! :)

One of the treats of living in the bay area is I've seen Michael play of few of his compositions from Equilibre with the DeMania Trio

Always a great show. They make "Oh Susanna" cool!

4. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks again, guys. Dave and I have always been kind of proud of Equilibre and hoped it could find a wider audience. Maybe there’s a chance…

5. worldhater

worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    It's my favorite so far, is there any chance that you two guys release a DVD with a live performance of this album? It would be my only chance of seen you live cos' I live in Chile haha! by the way, have you released any Manring's live show on DVD, eather solo or wiht any of your projects?

6. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    I haven’t done any live video with Dave, worldhater, but it’d be fun to do. We have a great time playing the tunes live. I haven’t yet released any specific concert DVDs, but you might be interested in The Artist’s Profile. It’s an hour-long DVD of a TV documentary that was made about me in 1998 and it contains footage from a few different shows and clinics as well as interviews.