Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Equilibre'

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by ZuluFunk, Dec 10, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Michael,
    Just received a copy of Equilibre'.
    I spent most of the evening with the Bose cranking while I put up the tree.

Finally I had a chance to go down to my practice room and play along with the CD coming though the monitors.

Beautiful CD. I did enjoy the groove!!!

Lack of liner notes though. Some of the technical questions I had came to mind. Specifically, which basses are you using?

I also notice some serious breathing caught on the recording. I think the title track had the most pronounced. Must have been the area mic but I'm wondering who it was or maybe your strings were getting tired ;) .

Just wanted to say thanks for the beautiful music. I'm sitting there playing along with you (your CD), pretending I landed a gig playing a small room with David and you it must be weird for you to think that people do that.

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, John. I'm glad you like the disk! It was a real pleasure to make. I used my main fretless, a custom Zon Sonus for the whole recording. The breathing you hear is probably Dave. Although we set up facing each other in the same room, I was pretty far away from the mics. They were very close to his guitar and he was getting into to it pretty heavily so I'll bet you can hear all sorts of stuff!

Thanks again.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Grunts and groans can really enhance a record... can you imagine Keith Jarrett without the orgasmic cookie-monster noises in the background? ;)

It's a great CD, Michael, and I'm looking forward to the follow-up!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.stevelawson.net