Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Equipment advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuoLi, Oct 26, 2000.

1. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I need some equipment advice..

This is what I have.
    SWR Workingman's 300
    SWR Son of Bertha (1x15" cabinet)
    Ampeg "classic" 2x10 (I'm getting rid of this)
    Hartke 410 XL

My rig sounds pretty good with the hartke & SOB. But I don't want to haul around both cabinets (I'm lazy). And my amplifier doesn't do well with one cabinet. So I'm looking for a really good sound with one cabinet or get two smaller ones. And I want to get a more powerful amp. I like SWR amplification, so I want to stay with SWR.

And I'm in a blues rock / funk band. We have a small PA, but the speakers aren't the best out there. I like Rocco Prestia, and I have a 5 string with passive pickups. And I want some serious bass tone.

Option 1)
    SWR Bass 350
    Keep the SOB
    Get rid of the ampeg & get a Goliath Jr.
    Trade in the Hartke for a SWR Goliath III.
    Option 2)
    SWR Bass 750
    SWR Goliath III or Eden 410 XLT (8 ohm)
    Option 3)
    SWR bass 350 (or 750)
    2 SWR Goliath Jr. or 2 Eden 210XLT
    Option 4)
    SWR Bass 350
    1 SWR Goliath Jr and 1 Eden 210Xlt.

I know if I get a Bass 750, it would be too powerful for what I have. And with 750 watts at 4 ohms, I'd probably have to get another 4x10 I I need more speakers. With a Bass 350, I can keep what I have, but it's not a big jump in power. And the 750 is $300 more than the 350.

Anyone have any comparisons between the SWR & Eden cabinets listed above.

I was looking into getting a couple Acme cabinets. But that really limits what amp I can get, and later it limits the speakers I can go with. This would be a power amp solution. And I don't want to go there.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I want to get a bunch of opinions before I lay down some bucks.

2. How much cash are you willing to part with? If you went the Acme B2 route you'd need the amperage to back them up (at least 400-500 watts per channel), but it sounds like you don't want to get a separate power amp. Personally I think a separate amp opens up your options. If your not going to run through the PA you're going to want that extra oomph from your rig.

I don't know anything about the Bass 350 but you could use that as a preamp to the separate power amp if you like SWR sound. What kind of head do you have now?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Bass 350 will not be much louder than the WM 300 you have now. It might sound better, but you did say you wanted more power; in general you need to at least DOUBLE the wattage to have an amp that is perceived as more powerful.

Actually, no. Most speaker manufacturers recommend an amp of DOUBLE the RMS rating of the speaker. That's so you can get clean reproduction of signal peaks wihtout clipping. A clipped signal will fry a speaker fast. Into an 8 ohm cab the 750 only drives only 450 watts, your SOB is rated 350 watts RMS, so 450 watts into it is OK. With 750 watts into 4 ohms, you're still not overpowering your cabs.

I'd suggest getting a new head and see how you feel with that driving just the SOB before you start looking into other cabs.

Good luck.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Given your preference for SWR I would get the SWR750 and an Eden D410XLT.The Goliath is a nice cab but I it doesn't have the bottom end of an Eden D410XLT. The XLT part is important because of the double porting.
    I play in a Blues/R&B and Prestia is one of my heroes too.I have the D410XLT with an Eden WT-500.There isn't a venue big or small that this rig isn't suitable to handle. Its also one cabinet which is, albeit a little heavy, easy to get around.
    The reason I would pick the SWR 750 rather than the 350 is simply more available headroom for the larger rooms. The 350 would work too though.

5. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    John:
    I was thinking about a component system. Some type of pre-amp (Kern, Alembic, EBS maybe), and a Crown K1, and run it in bridged mode if I had the Acme. It would probably sound good in stereo with different cabinets. But it might be overkill. I'd rather go simple. If I was set on the Acme, then I'd do this.

Bass Northwest has a 4 ohm Acme low B2 for $300 !!!!

brianrost:
    I was thinking the same thing about the SOB. It would probably handle 450 watts OK.

DaveB:
    I was thinking that way too. The Goliath is $100 cheaper, 10 lbs lighter, andI think it's a little smaller. I've never played through an Eden though. I looked at the specs and the xlt is -6db @31 Htz. And it's a little more efficient (106 db SPL vs. 105 db SPL). And I can use my SOB if I need to.

6. Yeah just remember if you have a mismatched load (one 4 ohm; one 8 ohm) running in stereo, one cab will be louder. (It's one louder!-Nigel Tufnel) I don't think you can overkill with a high-powered amp. What you DO get is good clean non-distorted tone even if you don't play at high volume.

I've got a QSC 2402 powering two Acme B2's. I don't play that loud but I am digging the clean tone I get from the Acme's which I attribute to my QSC (and my Eden preamp!).

That's a damn good price on that Acme, hoss! I wouldn't cogitate too long, or somebody will snap it up.