Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

equipment please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Nov 1, 2001.

1. :D Hello everyone. I need suggestions from the experienced. I'm in a band and we gig quite a bit. One of my guitar players plays out of a Marshall 4x12 and the other a Fender or Peavey 2x12 I believe. Anyway, at our last show I played my buddy's Hartke 4x10 and it did pretty good. Now I'm looking to buy. Need some good recomendations for cabinets and heads. We play fast metal, like Dream Theater, Meshugga, Pantera, and maybe some Sepultera or Testament sounding deal. Thanks for any help.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hello Driver! :)

I think I need to ask you a few questions:

What is your budget?
    Is portability an issue?
    Where do you live?

One thing I can say for sure, though: You play loud, aggressive music, you need POWER. Preferrably as much as you can get! Carvin and Peavey have relatively inexpensive high-powered heads available, at least in the US of A.
    Also, a large speaker area gives more "push" and will help you being heard on stage and where you rehearse, but the more the speakers, the more the weight, the more the pain of lugging it all around.

A common rule of thumb is that the bass player should have roughly 4-5 times the power the guitarists have. Sometimes that is not enough either: it depends on which drivers your cabinets have.

So, tell us, how much are you willing to spend and do you have a strong back?

3. Portability isn't a problem. I'm a big guy. Like 6' 200lbs. So that doesn't matter. Um budget, well i can save as long as i need to I'm about to graduate so I'll be working. But I don't want to spend more than 1000 on a cabinet. And I don't really want to spend much more than that on a head. Just need something that works. I live in Georgia. There's mars and guitar centers here so I have access. Will SWR do me any good. 4x10 are on sale for like 400 or 500 down here. Thanks.:D

4. Quick suggestions;

Carvin R1000 head (649 direct, 1000 watt head)

Yamaha PB-1 pre (~100-150 on ebay) great, simple, unbreakable
    +
    carvin dcm-1000(399.99 direct, 1000watts)

4x10 of choice - If they are Goliath III's being sdold for that...hoily cow, man! grab two! or they could be the workingmans' series, which I have yet to hear, but have heard greta things about. SWR is very decent gear.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Good suggestions by Deman.

If you want a little more than just "something that works" but still doesn't cost too much, you could pick an Ampeg SVP-PRO for preamp. Or you can look for used stuff, where you can do massive savings. www.bassgear.com is a good place to start.

If the SWR 4x10's really are Goliath's, and on sale for 400 or 500, it's a great price! Do get two! :)