equipment questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bodom_bass398, Dec 8, 2002.

1. bodom_bass398

Dec 8, 2002
    nj usa
    I've been playing bass for a couple of months now and I think that this is the instrument that i want to stick with. I have an ibanez gsr200 bass n a peavey 20 watt amp. I realize that thats a little pathetic but its what i started out with. I was playing at my friends house and he has a lot more equipment so i was using his amp but i want to get my own. I just need to know about power amps and pre amps and stuff. I have a pretty good idea about how all that type of stuff works but it would be nice to get some advice from more experienced players.

if you have any advice or information to give me i'd appreciate it.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    A pre-amp takes your bass signal and makes it 1 volt.

A power amp takes a 1v signal and makes it 20+ v depending on the power ofthe amp, and can drive a speaker in a cabinet.

A speaker (or several) in a correctly designed cabinet turns the electricity into sound.

A "head" is a pre-amp and power amp in 1 package.

A "combo" is a head and speaker cabinet in 1 package.

A speaker cabinet can:

-be small
    -go low
    -be loud

but if you want 2 out of 3 it will cost you and you usually can't get all 3.

A combo is almost always a compromise.

Your next step will probably be a 150w combo or a small stack with a head and a 1x15 cabinet. Seperate pre-amp/amp systems are great, but not quite as cheap as a head. Buy used until you know what you really like.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I support ESP's advice in buying used. I can't remember the last head, cab or bass I bought brand new. Buying used saves cash. Let somebody else spend the big bucks while you spend anywhere from 50-60% for what he paid. A lot of beginners look only for new stuff. However, the used mkt is a great tool for saving and providing mucho choices.