Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Equipment Recommendation Please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Oct 20, 2002.

1. I have been away from the Electric Bass for about 28 years, but am going to buy one. My previous posessions were all Fenders. Our church choir is becoming electrically instrumentalized, and is fully mic'd with an excellent sound system. I am going to look for a used one in my area, but may buy new. Can't afford major bucks. Will only be used
    with a small amp for choir use and living room picking and practice. What is a good quality in a lower priced instrument these days, and what would be the minimum size for an amp that would be adequate for the living room and work with a choir with a fully mic'd sound system, doesn't have to fill the whole auditorium with gut wrenching sound. Just accompanying pianos, etc. Thanks in advance., Any recommendations
    will be greatly appreciated.

2. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    What's the amount you can spend approximately?

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Can't go wrong with MIM Fender Jazz. MTD Kingston's can be had in that price range, also. For a bit more you could get a Lakland Skyline.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's amazing what you can get for a couple of hundred dollars. It won't be pro-touring grade, but you'll probably find enough of an instrument to determine if your bass playing is going to be long term, or periodic.

The Fender classic knock-offs seem fine. Ibanez also has some good starter basses. The veterans here will have preferences for you too.:D

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'm sure you can find a preowned Warwick 4 string. They all sounds pretty good and play well, too

Rob

6. Get a MTD Kingston of Lakland Skyline. Seriously, you can't go wrong with either.