Equipment Report- Avatar B112 with JBL Car Audio Subs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Awhile back I built a pair of 1x12 subs using JBL GT-120 car subwoofers, but only last night did I get a chance to test them at volume. The boxes are about 18x18x24 and are flat to 30hz (as in about 1 db down). I had a few folks ask what the volume was like.

Practice last night was 2 guitars with 100w PA support in a 2 car garage. It was a reasonable practice volume (mild hearing protection used by me) and would have been fine for small bar/large coffee house.

I used a QSC RMX-1450 power amp, a single JBL sub and a single B112 on top of it. Preamp was a Yamaha PB1 (set on 8) getting signal from my ESP-B305 5 string neck-thru (set on 9). After warming up, the QSC was set to just about 50%. The pre was using a crossover frequency of about 200hz. The amp should be able to push 280w into the Avatar and 425w into the sub in this configuration.

The volume was not "loud" where I was sitting about 30 degrees off axis from the B112 which surprised me, however it filled the space well. The sub was not "in your face" and it's effect was pretty subtle (until you turned it off and then it like sucking the guts out of the bass like an AM car radio).

Once we settled on a volume for the practice, the tone got many smiles. I found I was able to play notes all over the B string that sounded as good as the rest of the neck; B had the same clarity and volume as E. It makes a huge difference on long low notes on the B string and the E string, where the tone would normally get progressively thinner as you go lower.

I have played several 5 strings in the past with various reputations for quality of B strings; I have to wonder now if perhaps the speaker cabinet has as much to do with the "B string quality" as the construction of the bass.

I would say that the pair of subs and this rig is a good match for the B112 and that it should be loud enough for small-medium bars. My volume was comparable to my Ampeg B-100R combo at about 1/2 to 2/3 power.

I would say the pair will be exactly what I wanted in a rig:

1. No components beyond 40#.
    2. Small packages for ease of transport in small cars (based on B112 footprint 18"x18")
    3. Flat to 30hz.
    4. Loud enough for small-medium bars.

My total investment in this rig is about $1,100 including: new Avatar B112 and QSC amp, used Preamp and SKB cases, and homebuilt subs ($300 for the pair).

My thanks to those who helped me explore speaker cabinet design (Bgavin, Joris, Geshel, and others) without whom this project would not have been possible.
  2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Well done. Sounds like you've beat the cost subwoofin', and it works! I wish I could say that.

For a slightly different prespective on the sound of your system, have someone play your instrument while you listen form a distance.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm... I don't know about this. But that's probably another thread. Fingers make a big difference.
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    In the current practice location "standing back" isn't much of an option.

I suspect I'll like the tone fine; my needs are simple. I don't use any effects and little EQ; my only goal with amplification is to get my signal louder. From what I can see of the response curves of the various equipment, I am getting that, from 30hz to at least 2k or so when the horn kicks in at which point I can't really verify it.