1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Er, this may sound stupid...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Harrison, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Apr 8, 2006
    Right...

I've got my eye on a very nice looking, Washburn Taurus 24.
    But I've also seen a used (but in perfect condition) Peavey Cirrus going for around the same price...

I fancy the t24 mainly as reviews say it's got such a thin, fast neck. however, the peavey is beautiful, and i've had other peaveys before that i've really liked.

so...

Cirrus or T24?

Pro's and cons? does the peavey have a thin neck?

thanks guys

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I like them both. The Taurus to me has wider range of tonality whereas the Cirrus just has a good sound overall. The Cirrus neck is VERY thin.

3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Apr 8, 2006
    I thought the peavey was a top of the line, professional guitar. top of the peavey line anyway.

whereas the taurus is kind of a budget bass...?

also, what's the BXP model?

4. I don't know the T24, but I have two Peavey Cirrus...a 4 and 5. I think they have quite a wide sound range IMHO. With two 9V's they cover a lot of tones and are very articulate. I don't think you would regret the Cirrus. Also, the Cirrus has several different wood combinations that effect the sound considerably. My PVC4 is redwood top/alder body/maple neck and it is a bright, modern sound; great for funk and slap and pop. Maple is probably close but haven't heard it. There is Walnut, too, and my PVC5 is bubinga top/walnut body and neck...very rich and a darker tone. Go to a GC and try some out to get a feel for the different sounds. So, a new lower priced guitar or the more expensive priced guitar used for the same money, I would/do go for used. Basically, guitars and basses in that price range are well cared for and babied...usually sold in mint or near mint condition.

5. Dazx

Dazx

Jul 18, 2007
    The Cirrus IS a professional grade instrument depending on the model BXP's are made in indonesia...a slice of personal opinion here,there is a lot of talk about U.S.A made basses vs foreign made ones.Because something is manufactured in the U.S doesn't automatically make it an amazing instrument. I have personally played many "boutique" instruments that I have absolutely no use for. Judge an an insturment by it's sound, it's playability,and the quality of it's workmanship. CBS Fenders for example have been notoriously referred to as pieces of crap for decades..and now suddenly they are "superbe" vintage axes..what happened? did the guitars suddenly get amazing? No,realistically the stigma of owning an old Fender suddenly comes into play.Once again you will see talk about Jv series Squiers (japan made in the 80's) as comparable to the U.S models..when back in the 80's they were called pieces of crap. Ignore whether or not the Taurus is a low end model or not..how does it play? how does it make you play? do you fight with the instrument? in the end what matters is music...and an instrument that helps you make music is what you need...an instrument that disappears and allows the creation of music to take place,that is priceless,and the right instrument for YOU will allow that. It won't matter if the bass cost $4000 or $400