1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ERB Drop tuning string help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by togglehead, May 18, 2017.

1. togglehead

togglehead Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, im sure this has been covered a few times, but i cant seem to wrap my brain around it for my application as its not QUITE covered, so hopefully, you guys with experience here can point me in the right direction. Also note, im planning on going with Kalium strings so i can pick and choose the right gauge for each string. This is what i need help with. Picking the right gauges to maintain string tension. I understand i will have to do some nut modifications, but id like to leave the bridge alone.

The bass: Bill Dickens Conklin 7 string - 35" Scale
    The tuning: CGCGCGC
    The hurdle: I want that bottom C an octave lower (almost) than the typical Low B string down there.

Basically i want to ditch the 1 lower 2 higher config, and go 2 lower and one higher. Do you think this can be achieved with any useable range?

If not, i will do GCGCGCG with the bottom G being one octave lower than the 3rf fret E string.
    HALP!

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Yeah totally possible, they have strings for standard C# of C#F#BEADG so C is no problem. I assume you have a top-loading slot-loading bridge? that will be essential.
    Here's the tension chart for 35" http://store.kaliumstrings.com/TensionCalculator/tensionChart.php?scale_length=35
    You can use this to discover what per-string tension you like by using you current gauges and tuning, then use those per-string tension values to choose gauges for the new tuning. Any problems do ask.
    Kalium recommend a minimum tension of 30lbs for mid to lower bass strings, so at least .222 for C.

3. togglehead

togglehead Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Ok this is helpful. I had spent some good time with this exact calculator and never got far in my understanding of it. Something was always missing. Your suggestion to reference my existing string gauge/tension setup against the desired result is a huge "aha" moment.

Thanks much. I'll report with further (inevitable) inquiries.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Start with a string twice as thick as what you like for a low B.
    Double the thickness at the same lbs of pull = one octave down.