ERB fit hardcases for air travel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Mar 16, 2006.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    OK, as some of you may know, I'm waiting for my Conklin 9 for quite some time now, and the fact that the thing needs a bag fit for it hasn't been helpful...

Conklin has not received a custom made bag ordered to undercover bags so far, they were supposed to have sent one two weeks ago, but this week they said it would be shipped tomorrow the Friday 17th, who knows I guess.....

Meanwhile our very own JP suggested that I should try and ask Jean Baudin to bring the bass with him to Europe since he is coming here for a masterclass, it would not only assure that the bass is is my hands by the 1st of April, it would avoid heavy custom taxes and fedex payments

Jean of course is hesitant because there is a certain amount of risk and responsability to this, and I understand perfectly, but I'm sure that there has to be a case somewhere where one of these jumbo instruments fits nicely and offers a good shock protection inside that airplane cargo deck!

Any reccomendations from the air travelling T'bers??
  2. Luis,

Does Bill still offer ATA hard cases? I know he did at one time.

3. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    I would be inclined to say no, since this ordeal is precisely because they lost a case supplier a while back:meh:
  4. That stinks, Luis. It really sucks that you have to go through this.

I can definitely understand your frustration.

5. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    that's it would be so cool to grab this chance, go to France and have the bass waiting there for me :)

But I understand if Jean still refuses to do this, I've seen cases being handled by airport workers and someone should definitly release a force-field equiped instrument hardcase :ninja:

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I would like to suggest that maybe you should consider the purchase of a very well made keyboard case.
  7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    In 1990 I had a custom Anvil ATA case made for my Tobias 7-string bass. ATA is great because when the airline tries to get you to sign that "we aren't responsible" tag,you tell them that the American Transit Authority ,or whatever it is says you(the airline) are responsible because we've tested this case and it takes major abuse to destroy it.I have traveled from Hong Kong to New York with that case and it and the bass are still in perfect shape. It is worth every penny.

I am now looking for a flight case for my Adler 12-string and I tried SBK but they don't make case for a bass that's 51" long.It looks like Anvil again. They are bulky and heavy,but they work.

Out of 30+ years flying everywhere,I HAVE ONLY HAD ONE INSTANCE ,when American Airlines just "forgot" to put my oversized case on the belt.They found my bass the next day.
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Man, I didn't know you were still waiting :rollno: You certainly have a lot more patience than I do .....

Garry's suggestion is probably the most sensible, but it won't be quick, either. Those ATA custom cases take time to build, and I wouldn't imagine there is anything commercially available that would hold that big fella, otherwise Conklin would have found it by now.

I probably would have asked to have the bass crated and shipped by now, if I were in your situation. Professional shippers can build a crate for anything, and the bass would travel safely. Once I had the axe I'd find a local cat to build something for it.

You are one patient dude ........ :cool:
  9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile

Like Garry mentioned the only real option is a custom ATA case.

And again, I'd rather not to be responsible if anything happens to your new bass traveling with me. Furthermore, which I forgot to mention in the email is the Airline (AirFrance) does charge for oversize luggage - I believe I was quoted somewhere between $150-200 for something as large as my Joust Bass, so add that to Conklin shipping it to me and in the end I don't think you'll be saving much.
  10. **This is what I use to travel with TWO basses inside their individual gig bags. I am thinking that ONE really large ERB (like a 11/12 string bass) should be able to fit inside its normal gigbag and THEN you put it into this case. The real advantage of this case is that airlines "tend" to be more considerate with "golf clubs". No customer service rep. at an airline wants to face an angry, high-rollin' old man who just got his clubs all smashed up!! :)

Check out the dimensions of YOUR GEAR, YOUR CHOSEN AIRLINE SPECS. (Domestic and International have different weight and size restrictions), and plan accordingly. :)

SKB 2SKB-4816W ATA Staff Golf Travel Case

ATA SKB Case:
    SKU: 2SKB-4816w

Product Name:
    Shaped Golf Case- Wheels - 16" Staff Bag

Inside Dimensions L x W x H:
    48" x 15" x 11"
    Split: N/A

Shipping Dimensions:
    L x W x H:
    52" x 19" x 14"
  11. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Jay - As Garry mentioned, the SKB cases are too short... and on top of it the particular one you pulled up is too narrow. The Double Golf Travel Case (2SKB-5020W) is wide enough, but still not long enough. I was stoked about getting the double golf one for my basses when I started researching awhile ago until I did the actual measurments. That's what I get for 36" scale length and 11 tuners.
  12. ATA also has the travel with convenience ordeal with musicians. You can get a backrow seat and shove your guitar in a softshell behind your seat.
  13. Damn, I was hoping it would be "just right", but I didn't even think about the additional dimensions of your particular 11/12 basses. :(

Well, it should at least cover the Pac Man bass right? :)

Dear God, 36"!!

Cellists and upright bassists have the same problems as you guys. And their only alternative is often to purchase another expensive plane ticket/seat for their own bass. I talked to a cellist in the LA Phil. and he was less than enthusiastic about letting any of the airport doofi touch his cello, henceforth he simply bought a seat for his cello.

You have to admit, it would be pretty cool to be on a flight with the Joust sitting right next to ya. A great conversation piece for the ladies and you could easily steal the Joust's bag of peanuts and complimentary Starbucks (served in a refreshing styrofoam cup)...........

I am thinking that you guys might want to explore a high-end cello case:
    (Just a quick Google, it's far from the best)

14. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I just called Anvil Cases here in CA. I love this-they are sending a guy over to my house to measure the bass(Adler12) and discuss construction materials and ATA options.I hope this isn't like going into a fancy restaurant,enjoying the fine meal and service,then getting that huge bill!
    Anyway ,they told me everything they make (as we well know) is custom.
    What good is having a custom bass if you can't take it anywhere for fear of it getting damaged?

I'll let you know what I get and the cost and the time involved in construction and delivery when the rep calls me any time now.
  15. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Well I'm dropping the idea then, thx for the valuable input ppl.