Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ERB forum in the EB forums.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by i like tictacs, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I think, that because every one of you people is always complaining about light-hearted ERB deriding/disrespecting that you, or whoever makes the forums...should make another category for the ERB posts. Number one...it would make the Basses forum easier to sort through and moderate, number two...the bashing would substantially decrease, and number three...we wouldn't need mods constantly reminding people of the rules and whatnot. I honestly don't see how it would hurt the site, if anything, help it.

2. I think that's a ripping suggestion!

for mod I nominate any of the following cats:

JT - provided he isn't already swamped)
    Jean Baudin
    Al Caldwell
    Greg Campbell

from the lows,

Stew

3. And we already have people who would make good mods for that forum.

:thumbsuptostew:

4. LOL

well, I think there are folks far better qualified to run things around here than me, but thank you for the vote of confidence, man!

:oops:

from the lows,

Stew

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the only reason i don't like this suggestion is because there is already a seperation in too many people's minds between standard 4 string bass and extended range basses. i'd rather not manufacture another artificial one.

that's why the light-hearted ribbing gets old - erb players are still bassists, playing bass, just like standard 4 string players are.

6. John, I respectfully disagree with your seperation statement. I think people know that an ERB is just a bass...with more strings. You could even look at it as an extended range guitar. But I don't see any other way that the badmouthing and sarcasm will die off then to split it up a little. Even I am guilty of ERB dis'ing. Look at my sig...it is a common misconception of non-ERB players...so lets keep the non-ERB players out of the ERB forums, or make seperate areas, you know?

But what's the difference between an Upright and an EB then? They're still playing bass, no? It would be "Extended Range Bass posts here.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Where would we draw the line? Five? Six? Seven?

The arguement could be made that fivers are almost as common as fours, and probably shouldn't be considered to be ERBs.

I don't think splitting Basses is needed, IMO. Besides, then you'd have forum raiding by people trying to stir up crap.

8. I really can't imagine forum raiding on ERB's...I would hope people aren't that immature.

I think anything above 6 is an extended range, maybe above 5.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Too complicated. It's just like having a DB off topic, and a BG off topic. It's almost redundant.

10. good point, JT.

from the respectful lows,

Stew

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's leave the forums the way they are. No need to split the ERB from 4 and 5 stringers. I feel as John does. It would just foster more ill feelings and possibly cause more problems. At the very least, it would keep some of our most respected members from interacting in the normal Basses forum.

12. i believe abraham lincoln said it best: an internet forum divided on itself cannot stand"

i agree with JT. if we separate ERBs from BG, than wouldn't that only show that ERBs aren't BG's like everybody is ridiculing? it'll only make things worse.

Charlie

13. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I'm not sure if its ok to mention this or not...

But there is a forum dedicated to ERB...

www.ExtendedRangeBassist.com

I agree with the majority of this thread though...

Within the TB forums, why would want to segregate ourselves away from the masses?

14. :D

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Wow... thanks for the vote of confidence there, BUDDY!!!

:spit: :mad:

j/k :p

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've got a better idea, How about since there seems to be a few dweebs that can't let their minds wander outside the box for 2 seconds and imagine a world where people want something that they don't want or can't understand, rather than segregating out the ERB players from everyone else with a new forum we should segregate them to their own tiny brained forum (maybe the Itty-Bitty-Narrow-Minded-Dweebie-Pencil Necked Basses Forum?) and I wouldn't mind at all if they had their own Off-Topic Subforum, to keep them in their place.

BTW it would be even cooler if the mod's could limit them to only posting in that forum as punishment for posing their "Jaco Only Needed" rants...

and just in case anyone cares, I ONLY play 4 stringers, but that's just my choice.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we have that already - that's here

18. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    why are there only 4 lines in the TAB? :eyebrow:

TAB is just stupid if they can't make it for a 9 string bass! :bawl:

now i'm frustrated! :D

:bag: :bag: :bag:

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The Power Tab program can go to 7 strings..

;)

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm just trying to figure out what ERB stands for !!!