Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ERB Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therealting, Aug 12, 2004.

1. I know there are a few ERB players who use that "scrunchy" / hairband device to mute their strings. I tried this recently as an experiment and found that it does not mute the strings evenly. It seems to press the low and high strings down right to the frets, while having little effect on the middle strings.

Is it just me? :)

I'm trying to find a solution for my new 8-string (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137030) - I have been trying to play it like a baritone guitar for certain songs, and an effective mute would make it much easier.

Thanks,
    Johann

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm not a big expert on the extended range instruments but the GT7's I've seen have a VERY flat fingerboard so the hair scrunchie thing will absolutely pull down the low and high strings more than the middle strings. You could try to stick something into it like a chunk of metal/plastic/wood dowel (probably thinner than a pencil or so) cut to about the width of the fretboard where you intend to use it. That should make it hit the strings flat across the board. Maybe there are some others here who have run into this issue before who may have a more elegant solution but that would be my first thought. (nice job on the 8 string mod too!!! I like the narrow spacing!)

3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    what kind of scrunchy are you using? I used just a plain elastic and its what you said, but Al caldwell used one of those big fluffy ones on his 9s, since they have extra tissue they should mute better overall. Anyway I don't use one anymore, but I bet that GT-8 has a way small string spacing so could be useful maybe :eek:

try these, several colours to match :D

[​IMG]

4. although i dont really care for erb's, have you tried using a bit of sponge underneath the strings right at the bridge like jamerson/babbit?, that'd be my best bet

5. Thanks for the replies.

The sponge by the bridge would give all the notes a thunky sound, what I'm looking for is to stop the open strings from ringing out, but still have normal tone on all the other strings.

The other two ideas sound good - I'll keep my eye out for a fluffy scrunchy, and the other idea sounds like a capo fitted loosely...

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    On ERBs? i have only so far seen it on Chapman sticks. There, it is built into the fretboard (at first fret) IIRC and it goes upwards, not down. Sticks have this for tapping (well how interesting, isnt that what they are for? :D ), so that this will stop open strings from resonating along and shortens the ring-out time of them. They also have very flat radius and low action, so this works at once with all strings

7. I've seen those - isn't it basically a piece of felt wedged under the strings between the nut and first fret?