Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ERB stand?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BenF, Sep 29, 2005.

1. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I'm looking for a stand that'll hold a bass with a very wide neck, and an offset body. Anybody out there find one?

The regular tubular stands work well for the offset body, because the part the body rests on can swivel, but the neck cradle is just too narrow. Same for the newer Ultimate-type stand - the body rests on the 2 lower legs, but the neck cradle is, again, too narrow.

The little folding A-frame stands work well for the wide neck, because there is no neck cradle, but the pegs that the body rests on don't swivel - so any bass with an offset body sits at a serious slant.

At this point I might get a tubular stand and use a pipe to bend the neck cradle so it's wider. Might work as long as I don't get too enthusiatic.

Thanks in advance.

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    How wide is the neck? I have a GT7 that fits quite nicely in an inexpensive tubular stand ..... most of the stands have a height adjustable neck cradle that will get to the skinnier portion of the neck. The GT7 neck starts to get jammed up at around the 12th fret, so as long as I can get the height of the cradle up around the 7th fret or so, no problems.

3. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Boy, am I slow this morning. At it's very highest, my tubular just fits the bass neck. I just never thought to adjust it that high, forgetting that adjustable, means, well, adjustable. Duh. Time for coffee and lots of it.