1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ERBassists, a question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by katri, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Hey,
    I've been thinking recently about the world of ERB and i was wondering how you guys got into it, what bass(es) you play and how many strings. and also what type of music outside of solo bass do you use ERB for? Also did you go suddenly from 4 to whatever or was it a progression e.g started on a 4 then a 5 then a 6 and so on....

any input would be valued.

thanks
    Dan

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You'll probably end up with a bunch of different opinions, as well as a fair amount of ERB-hate posts and "use the search" jabs, but what the heck ...

I played a 4 for over 30 years before I went to a 5, then stuck at the 5 for another 10 years or so. I only got interested in a 6 when I began to work in a small guitar-bass-drums trio and some additional chording was needed here and there. I quickly added a Boomerang looper and moved to 7 strings .... I pretty much only play 6 & 7 strings on gigs now, but most recording dates are done with a 4 or 5.

Extended range playing is more than just getting used to the additional strings and physically larger dimensions of the basses. For me, it was a complete change to the way I approached playing. Really changed my thought process, phrasing, soloing and groove a lot.

It seems that most players either immediately like it and stay with it, or they hate it and quickly bail out. For me, I'm hooked ... :cool:

3. Vypor

Vypor

Oct 12, 2006
    Little Rock, AR
    I have no idea what ERB is, but I know that I started playing a 4 string, learned to play it, and after about a year i switched to a 5. I almost never pick up the 4 anymore, but alot of the people around where I live are strongly opposed to any bass over 4 strings, for some odd reason.

I personally love 5's. Im just a metal head though. I can't picture myself ever wanteing a 6 becuase thats just a high C, if a 6 string were to go even lower than a 5 I'd def. consider it.

4. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    ERB = extended range bass

You can easily add a low F# below the B, tuning F#,B,E,A,D,G ...

5. to what extent does the playing style needed differ?
    and also how do you play? pick, fingers or tapping ala jean baudin.
    thanks
    Dan

6. howard9

howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    Helo, I play a fretted Listerud 9 string and a fretless Listerud 8 string, and I have another fretted Listerud on the way. Listerud is a luthier from Norway(where I am from), that makes good basses at a very reasonalbe price. I have almost always been into basses with more strings, but I never thought that there where basses with more than 6 string, but than one dat, about 4 years ago I found the Conklin website. It was like a winow opend for me, this was tha basses I had dreamed about. But I was poor student, and ERB basses was way out of my pricerange. Than about two years ago I found my local luthier and asked if he could make me a bass like this, I wanted a 9 string fretted. He had only made up tp 7-string before, but was willing to give it a try.

I went from 4 to 9 strings, and that was fine by me. I have always played calssical guitar, and the ERB bass fills a need for me to be able to play bassline, cord and melody, all one one instrument. I don't consider myself a super bassist on the 4 string, it's not like I moved from the 4 because it was a master at that. But I consider myself a musician that like to explore many things, and ERB's help me do that on one instrument.

I play me ERB as a solo artist, but also bring it to my bands, I use them in a prog rockband that I play in, and also if I'm doing jazzsessions. The possabilities are endless, and I am so happy thes instruments exist, btw, here are my sexy beasts...:bassist:

251ce237.

e8dd1463.

9strengs_kroppx.

deilig1.

f8.

deilig2.

and me and my brother, both with custom listeruds:bassist:
    [​IMG]

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    There are no rules - you may do anything you want. Mix approaches, come up with your own style and technique, but always be ready to support in common ways when playing material that suggests this. But since many ERBers are also leaders or working with people who are looking forward, it's generally not such an issue to bring what you already know, and then to add your own ideas and approaches as the instrument inspires your conception.

I'd say the single most important thing to be aware of technically when getting into 6 or more strings is proper string muting with both hands.

8. Howard, wow i really love both of your basses.
    i really like the inlays aswell, are they just incase you forget how many strings you have lol. how hard was it to adapt to the 9 string? and how hard is it to play?

thanks
    Dan

9. howard9

howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    Haha, many have pointed that out, but it was and idea Listerud had, but i think it's real nice looking, and it may be practical for those who have trouble counting.

When I first got the 9, it was like, WOW, how the hell am I gonna play that. But after sitting there for an hour it was much easier. You just have to bouild up your muscal memory, your left hand is at one place, you try to pluc it and your right hand plucks the wrong string:D But it took much shorter time than I thought. To play it now is not hard at all, when I first got it I made a point of taking it to all my gigs and rehersals just to get comfy with it, it was a bit hard at first, but I am glad I did it, now its a dream to play:bassist:

10. what is the base price for a 9 string for a Listerud?

11. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I only wish I played like Jean :D

I'm a finger style player primarily ... I can slap enough to get the job done when needed, but it's not a style I prefer or, for that matter, like. I never use a pick, and my tapping skills are very limited and inadequate for performance. I am basically a rhythm and groove player that plays a lot of chords and uses a 7 string ....

My hand positions changed completely due to the width of the fingerboards/fretboards. I play a great deal between the 7th and 15th frets (I know, it's a big no-no, I should be ashamed of myself, the bass sounds like cr*p up that high on the neck, the money is in the first five frets, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes: ), where previously I used to play primarily between the nut and the 7th fret. Rather than thinking about playing up and down the neck, I now play across it. It changed all of my ideas relative to note placement to include different passing tones and octave pitches.

Using a looper allows me to put the basic groove into play, then chord behind the guitarist. Makes the band sound much larger than it is. Just be sure the drummer has very solid time and can hear the loop ..... ;) I play mostly in a power fusion trio, as well as with a classic rock trio. I use the 7 in both situations ... :cool:

12. howard9

howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    Listerud don't have a price list, but the bace price for a 9 would be like 2600 USD, depending on what options you get, but that will give you a pretty darn good instrument

13. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Howard, your nine is still quite intimidating :eek:

Here's my FBB 7 ..... and me wandering around up in the 7-8 fret range :help:

[​IMG]

14. howard9

howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    I love your new 7, one of the best FBB's I have seen. I am in the works with Listerud to create a new crazy instrument, specs etc will be posted here on TB and as always on the ERB-forum soon...:bassist:

15. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    sweet basses Howard9 and Pointbass. Diggin' em all.
    Got any sound clips from any of these beasts?

16. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Thanks Howard, good to hear from you .... keep us posted on whatever you're developing, I live vicariously through you young cats ... :cool:

17. Some very cool basses here. That fretless listerud 8 is to die for.

Back to the original post: I went from 4 to 5, then wanted a 6, saw a fretless LEJ 7 here on TB, and went for it. I definitely don't regret it. After playing it for a few months, it feels pretty much natural to me, though I still get lost sometimes if I'm on a high string and have to reach down to hit a specific low string.

I think there's this assumption that if you play an ERB you're going to do all manner of virtuosic stuff and wankery. For me, not so much. I play the same as I always did: mostly fingerstyle, no solo stuff, in a band context (some country, even!). I just have more strings to play now, is all.

18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i started on 4 and stuck with those for the first 8 years, then jumped right to a 6 around '89. i alternated stringing it both with high c and low f#(a ken smith 145 guage string was the biggest in production i could find at the time). i used it for everything i worked on, solo, experimental, dub, pop, whatever.
    fast foreward: my main erb is now an nscr5m eub (nothing like arco!)
    which to me is just a 41" scale fretless that facilitates bowing.
    i also have an amazing fretted ken smith md7 which is on the block for financial reasons only.
    link to thread/pics/soundclip: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281358
    if i keep it, it will most likely be sent back to the factory to be made fretless one day, as i'm disliking frets more and more. i've gone to the erb's (as well as arco and fretless too, i suppose) to follow the sound i hear in my head. same reason i use computers to process a portion of my sounds now, too...
    edit: it never felt odd or like something i had to get used to (mentally)
    one last edit:click on the link in my sig for free downloads of live shows, etc.
    obligatory studio pic:
    dkbw.

19. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Just got done recording with it for the first time, tracks are getting mastered right now and should be available in sometime next week. I have some stuff with the fretless 6 and a Conklin 7 up on my site, I'll add the FBB 7 tracks as soon as I get them in hand .... :cool:

20. what you reccomend as an entry(well... not quite really but you know what i mean) level 7 8 or 9?