Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ERBers, I'm out in the market for a C-u-s-t-o-m!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Sep 9, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Thats right! I've came up with 3000 Euros, thats about 3600+ UD dolars to spend, and so my plan was to get that altered Conklin sidewinder shape that I nicknamed the "Vanderloo" with a 9 string string configuration and fanned frets.

Bill gave me a great quote for this axe with 24 frets and a 3 band active Eq and not very much bling-bling overall, the most important is that it should be as LIGHT and BALANCED as possible, while still maintaining a kick*ss tone of course, the thing I dislike about the GT-7 is the overall feel and sound I get from slapping and the string spacing could be larger.

But do tell me, altough I'm thinking of going Conklin... Which builders out there could give me a slap happy ERB 9 string on a tighter budget? I'm not that crazy, if I could spare some of this amount to add up to a final downpayment it would only appear as an added bonus! BEE and Adler guitars are definitly in the Silver and bronze marks right now. some input, thx!

2. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Specs? Ideas? :D

4. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Attention, I'm willing to spend up to 4500 $ from the Conklin quote, think below this value. Thx.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Dave Pushic has built a 9 string (there's a pic on the website).. That would probably be your least expensive avenue but if you're not familiar with him and his basses, a search here on TB would be beneficial.

[​IMG]

6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I've seen this pic before but I never heard about these pushic instruments before, thx Beem, listen drop me a quick PM, I need to ask you some questions! ;)

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    PM sent!!

8. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    Just a thought....you could get about 10 "custom" Wish basses.

9. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    OMG, you are right!!!!!! What was I thinking!!!!!!!!!???? :eek:
    :D

10. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    Glad I could help.... :smug:

11. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Mike Browne is currently working on a 9-string with the Novax Fan'd fret sysem. You may wanna chat to him as well. His stuff is light as hell, well balance'd and top-friggin'notch.

I'd say him or Darrin Huff.

12. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I checked his site a while back, top notch! looks like Carl thompson XXI century version, if he is quick at replies I might ask him too.

13. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i dont know about prices or if they do novax but beveante seem to be doing some great erb work at the moment for al cauldwell. and JP is venturing into 8/9 strings and novax.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out JP, he's on your side of the ocean.

15. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Oversoul,
    Mike Browne's e-mail is down right now. He's in the process of upgrading his whole computer system, so if you have any questions, just send me an e-mail or PM and I'd be glad to help you out! ;)

16. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    oversoul - if the "vanderloo" conklin, is what you really want, you should go for that. Coming up with the extra cash to pay for it shouldn't be a big deal as you don't have to pay in full when you order. Put a percentage down, and save up the rest while it's being built.

Browne, Huff, and JP are all great suggesstions. I'll take 2 of each. Thank you. :)

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, it'll be a long time in building anyway, you can make the extra coin.

18. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

trust me, at current dolar to euro rates I prefer american stuff, having 3000 euros here only means that I can get a JP standard 5, while on the US I have the buying power of nearly 3700 dolars depending on the stockmarket!

19. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Thanks JPJ, if you could PM me with some quotes on a browne instrument like this I would be very grateful!