ergidine bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macool, Jun 10, 2001.

1. im looking for a 2nd bass and my friend said that i should get an ibanez ergidine bass. he says that it has a cool body style and the bassist from orgy has one. i have never heard of this bass and cant find it in musicians friend or mars music. and i dont listen to orgy so i dont know what it sounds like. has anyone has ever heard of this bass or can reccomend or otherwise advise me on the purchase?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I believe that you are referring to the Ibanez Ergodyne Series.

Here is a pic of the entry level model.

Get info on the EDB here and on the EDC here
  3. Isn't Ergidyne the plural of Ergodyne? :p
  4. Hey man.. My ergodyne B600 arrives in 2 weeks.. i can record some stuff if you want to, so you know how it sounds..
  5. Gudforniet

Jul 14, 2000
    San Ramon, CA
    dude i play on the ergodyne EDB605, and i love that bass. it has a luthite made body, it's really light and smooth and the tones are incredible. min has a 3-band active eq (low, mid, high) and u can beat the hell out of this bass and it will still sound awesome. The humbuckers are out of thid world and will hold up. JUst remember to have a 9-volt battery for the eq . I really recommend this bass. If ya want to find it cheap, go to
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're searching for the futuristic looking one,(kind of narrow body), that Bass Player reviewed recently, has those as well as other models.
  7. i'm getting the new luthite bodied one called the EDA 900 five string it's designed to be as comfortable as possible and i've played it and it sounds awesome but looks freakish
  8. thanx guys. i am playing a peavey fury now and i love the thin neck. is the 5 string ergodynes neck very wide or will i get used to the change?
  9. Gudforniet

Jul 14, 2000
    San Ramon, CA
    i played on an old washburn mercury series 4 string bass, and ithen switched to my 5 string ergodyne, and i doubted if i'd be able to play a 5 string bass, but i picked it up really easily, the strings are closer together but u'll adapt. hell after a while u'll find it hard to play ur 4 string again, hehehe. trust me on this man, this is something i really believe any bass player who knows how to play the four well enough and has no trouble with it.
    the five string ergodyne necks, are maple wood (i think, ud better check that) but it feels to me like a fender jazz neck. just see it as a new challenge of playing and ur creativeness will shoot through the roof, mine did.
    have a good one!!
  10. Heheh.. i'm switching back from 5-string bass to 4-string bass..

In my old band we played stuff like KoRN, Slipknot and coal chamber, in drop B.

But my new bands plays cyber-metal, in E..
    So i'd have to play everything on the 2nd string..
    that sucks :( so i'm going back to 4-string bass...

( and my current bass sounds like an old fart, so it was time for a new one anyway :D )
  11. Well, you could use the 5th fret of your B for the E. And you could throw a B string 1st fret C in too...and it'd be daringly in key.

But if you need a new bass...quench the GAS my son, for it will soon consume you if not sated...:D

Anyone notice how GAS is like the cannabilism hunger from that movie Ravenous? Every bass we consume makes us more powerful.:eek:

12. have any of you read the bass player review?

they said some thing like
    "from fieldy to fender with the flip of a switch"

13. RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    "1998 Reader's Poll: Victor Wooten Bassist Of The Year; Product of the Year, Ibanez Ergodyne; Stefan Lessard, Album of the Year and Most Inspiring New Bassist"
    By Bill Leigh

February '99 issue of Bass player Mag.

Somebody likes em. I do, I have an EDB690. Cant say ive played on alot of other basses, cause I havent. But Im pretty darn happy with it.

These guys all have but one thing to say--- "this bass sounds awesome"----
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    when i was looking for a new, modern bass to complete the sound of my old rick, i tried several basses. amongst them i tried an ibanez btb, an atk, an ergodyne, a czech spector second hand, a second hand aria custom shop with bartolini. i bought the spector but i was impressed too by the aria and by the btb. the atk was quite good too, but in my opinion the ergodyne was a big delusion, absoultely non comparable with the orthers. if you have the chance to try it and to compare with other basses, do it. after the test if you like it, buy it, but do yourself a favour, do not buy the bass because the guy in orgy (great band) plays one. be sure that that bass is completely different from the one you can find in the shops, they have only the same look. it's marketing, man and with marketing you sell basses, but you don't make good music.
    keep always your eyes and ears open. and trust no one than your ears.
    good luck