1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Ergo 5 string EUB

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by gscroggin, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Price:
    $500
    Strings:
    Selling my Ergo 5 string EUB. I believe I'm the second owner, and this is the 3rd Ergo I've owned. Works and plays 100%. This one has a much darker finish from my other two, and it's pretty attractive IMO. I've made a few modifications to it:

- Replaced the tuners and filed a few of them out to accommodate real DB strings
    - Mounted a bracket on the rear to accommodate the length of real DB strings

It also comes with:
    - D'Addario helicore 3/4" hybrid medium tension strings (low B if it's not obvious)
    - PDP drum stand
    - NS Design soft case that fits the EUB, stand, and small accessories

I'm asking $500 shipped in the CONUS. If you are outside the CONUS please contact me so we can figure out if shipping is realistic.

Thanks for checking it out!

Ergo5a.jpg
    Ergo5b.jpg
    Ergo5c.jpg
    Ergo5d.jpg
    Ergo5e.jpg
    Ergo5f.jpg
    Ergo5g.jpg
    Ergo5h.jpg
    Ergo5i.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. bassically_eli

bassically_eli Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    I'm not familiar with these, but it's an awfully cool looking bass! I'm not really in the market for something like this, YET, but I'll post a few questions here that others will likely find helpful:

1) It has a built in piezo pickup built in? This certainly appears to be the case based on the pictures.
    2) Are there any attachments available to simulate the body of a true double bass?
    3) Just to clarify, it's a 3/4 bass scale length, i.e., ~42" from bridge to nut?
    4) How does it bow? Does the fingerboard/bridge have enough curvature to allow one to dig in with bow, or play double-stops, without catching the adjacent strings?
    5) How's the overall sound, in your opinion? Does it closely approximate an acoustic upright, is it closer to a fretless EBG, or is it something else entirely? Are there any other EUBs you could compare it to (e.g., NS Design, Stagg, Palatino, etc.)?

Thanks!

3. gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Thanks for the interest @Elias86, here’s some answers.
    1. Yes, it’s a typical brass diaphragm piezo under the bridge legs. People (myself included) have experimented with other types with varying results.
    2. Not by default, but I’ve seen people add stuff, including a peg instead of a drum mount and a curved upper bout.
    3. Correct, ~42”.
    4. It bows fine for me with a German bow and mediocre technique. It’s not the same bridge and string angle as my real DB, but it’s definitely bowable.
    5. I’ve had 3 Ergo’s over the years and they’ve all been as good if not better than some other EUBs out there, at least regarding playability and sound (vs finish and looks). The exception being a full size (42”) NS, which I attribute to the sophisticated pickup system. The 34-36” EUBs I’ve tried all sound like fretless basses to me, I think because of the scale, action, and strings. I’ve experimented quite a bit with piezo pickups, different height bridges, and different string configurations with the Ergo’s. I think you can get a convincing DB sound live. Recording is a different situation as you can’t really escape the solid body piezo sound IMO. I have not modified this particular Ergo to the extent I have others, only because I got lazy and it actually sounded pretty good when I received it.

They are very fun instruments but with no live gigs anytime soon, no longer having a band where I’m playing DB regularly even if I was gigging live, having a real DB, and having plenty of electric fretlesses to screw around with at home, the Ergo is just collecting dust. Like I mentioned earlier I’ve had 3 of them over the years so it wouldn’t be surprising if I bought another down the road when the gigging world hopefully returns to whatever normal will be.

You may want to check out the two Ergo mega threads, there’s a ton of good stuff in them:

Part 1: Ergo Megathread part I

Part 2: Ergo megathread part II

Elias86 likes this.
  4. DZavadil

DZavadil

Mar 11, 2020
    Upstate NY
    Still available? Total newbie to uprights. I've been playing EB for 30 years and figured it's about time I play upright. I was looking at the NS basses as they use the same scale length (close enough) to electric bass.
    -Does that really matter in the long term?
    -Is having the same scale length as electric just shortening the learning curve a little bit, but sacrificing some of the nuances of the longer scale?
    Tone wise, the Ergos sound great, and are much less than the NS versions. Thanks!

5. nbsipics

nbsipics Boredom is Dangerous Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Bought an NS CR5M from these folks years ago, seemed like a great shop, and I am guessing they have sold a lot of NBS EUB's over the years. Might want to check them out for advice and ideas. Good luck with your quest.

( I am not affiliated with them fyi )

NS Design Upright Basses | Electric Violin Shop

EDIT - Another Dead Guy Ale mistake! Probably the only time someone has suggested another seller on a SELLER's POST! Sorry Op!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    DZavadil likes this.
  6. bassically_eli

bassically_eli Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    What a coincidence, The Electric Violin Shop is right down the road from me! I've heard good things about it, but I'm sure OP's Ergo is just as great in its own ways;). If it sticks around much longer, I might decide I'm in the market for an EUB.

To get back on topic, what wood is this Ergo? Is it one big piece of mahogany?

nbsipics likes this.
  7. gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Sorry for the delay in responding, the recent storm limited my Internet connectivity. @DZavadil yes, it's still available. Lot's of inquiries but no one has pulled the trigger yet. Yes, I believe it's one giant piece of mahogany. Regarding scale length, yes, I think it greatly affects the tone and "uprightness" of the sound. As I mentioned above, based on all the EUBs I've tried over the years the biggest factors are scale, action, and strings. I have yet to try an EUB with a short scale length (34-36") that I thought was any better or more practical than a typical fretless bass, or perhaps a fretless with tapewounds. You could certainly make the argument that a short scale DB is easier to learn if you're coming from a typical electric, but again what's the point if it's not going to sound much different from a typical fretless.

There's no denying that the 40+" scale NS is the cream of the crop though.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    bassically_eli likes this.
  8. I just bought it. Second Ergo 5'er for me. I shouldn't have sold the first one.
    I'm play more electric bass than upright. I used the other one for several years in a roots blues/country/early rock band. It was great for that. Sold it when I got in a rockabilly band. They wanted me to play a real upright mainly for the look I think. IMHO I sounded a lot better on the Ergo.
    BTW Ergo is not a shop. It's a guy called Jesse Blue working in his basement in TN. He is not building them any longer. He might build one for you if you beg.

gscroggin likes this.
  9. gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    As mentioned, sold to @butchonbass ! Thanks for all the interest.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020