Ergo VS. Palatino

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Eilif, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    The battle of the cheap URB's I am quite curious as to what folks can tell me about the comparison between the two instruments. I already read some of the threads about ergos and palatinos, but what about comparisons?

Has anyone played both?

I want to know sound, playability, arco compatability, durability, everything. Lets have it....

If anyone wants to drop another affordable (less that 900 bucks) full scale, bowable urb in here for comparison go ahead.
  2. I haven't tried an Ergo, but with the Palatino you need to factor into the budget a few replacements to get it working at a reasonable standard:
    Strings, bridge
    Pickup, preamp, tailpiece

I decided they weren't such good value once you consider the extra costs.
  3. Less than $900 bucks, eh? I suppose I should mention the fruits of my own research: the Kona Walkingstick bass ( for around $650 and the TJ bass ( which can go for around $800-$900. Of course, the Walkingstick is kind of an abstract take on an EUB, and the TJ no one's ever heard of, that I know.
  4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    The TJ looks interesting. I'm not interested in the walking stick, as it is not bowable, and really deserves to be it's own instrument. Anyone played a TJ
  5. No, but I have been emailing them (well, it's run by a guy named Terry Johnson really) and it seems to be a quality bass. I've been given loads of info on the bass (including an audio clip), and it's pretty cool. Sounds like a latin baby bass when straight with no preamp; adding a K&K pure preamp would probably get a deeper tone. PM me if anyone wants that soundclip.