1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ergonomics of Warmoth Z Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sotua, Oct 25, 2018.

1. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Hi all,

I've been dealing with some wrist issues, and (of course) am considering a new bass instead of just fixing my technique :)

I happen to love the Z shape, and the idea of a 32" or 30" Z to mitigate the impact on my limbs is very interesting. So I wonder, for those that have one, how does it work? Does it balance well, can you play it with a mostly straight wrist in your plucking hand? How big is it compared with a JBass? (if anyone has both, a side by side pic would be AWESOME!)

Thanks!
    sotua

2. 80956315-20E5-4CE9-AC5A-BB4CE483595B. How about this to keep the wrist straight .

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    EDIT: Ignore this post. Warmoth does offer these in a short scale.

Warmoth doesn't offer the Z in anything but a 34" scale to my knowledge. Are you going to position and route for the bridge yourself? Do you have a 30" or 32" neck in mind that conforms to a full scale Fender neck pocket like Warmoth uses?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  4. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    The Z is indeed one of the short scale shapes so it can be done with a 30 or 32” scale. It is the only design they have that looks good with either short scale headstock, imho.

I am also considering a medium scale Z build. It seems from the gallery that the ergonomics are similar to a Jazz. I am also curious to see if someone here has done this already!

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't see the separate section for short scale bodies. My mistake!