Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ERG's?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 3, 2006.

1. I was on the Conklin website and saw in the gallery like 9 and 10 string guitars. I never knew that guitars were like that like basses are. I just thought it was cool.

Does anyone know what these are tuned to? e.g. do you get extra low strings or extra higher strings?

Peace

~Alex

2. Must be low strings. To tune higher than a guitars high E would require either a much shorter scale or a very thin string. I don't think they're short scale, and if you go much thinner than .009 inches or so you'll have severe breakage issues.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've read that the 8 string guitars often have fanned frets (much shorter scale length on the thinner strings) and are tuned with an extra A above high E, and an extra B below low E. And that high A is still a very thin string.

4. good point. I guess a 9 string guitar goes F# - A. Only one full step above Bass (in the same octave) and 2 full octaves above it. And you thought that 7 strings were extended range...

5. I know that the Adler 12 string bass has a .003 Ab4 at 32". From that, I assume that you could get higher than a A4 out of a guitar at the ~25" scale. I've heard that there are some problems with longevity on these strings and I imagine that Garry plays pretty light on the Adler.

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I went and looked in a paper Conklin catalog. On page 7, there's a photo of this and this guitar and it says:
    Emphasis mine.

I don't know how old this catalog is, I got it when I ordered a set of Conklin SIT strings last year (2005), but there's no date on the catalog.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Google Charlie Hunter for some awesome ERG instrumentation. He plays an 8 string guitar with the E, A, and D strings from a bass alongside the A, D, G, B, and E strings of a guitar. He's cool beyond belief.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220793

Awesome stuff on him here.

8. I think Pat Metheny takes the gold in the strings catagory
    [​IMG]

plus i know that a lot of classical guitarists use 8 and 9 string guitars for the range and the ability to have more notes per fret position