1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eric Avery is back!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by texasgreg, Mar 22, 2009.

1. texasgreg

texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Austintacious
    Eric Avery is back with Janes Addiction. I didnt' get to see them last week in Austin at their 45 minute show at the playboy party, but youtube is full of videos from the show.

Looks to be Eric is playing a Jbass now. The images from the videos aren't too clear, but it appears to be a battle worn black j bass.

I know some of you real gearheads will figure out what he is playing. Other good news is that Trent Reznor is producing their new effort, which means it should be rocking, now that Avery is back in town to get things going right.

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Sweet. Ritual de lo habitual is one of my favorites of all time.

3. I agree.

4. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    In my opinion Eric Avery is one of the greatest rock bass players.

5. texasgreg

texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Austintacious
    Question for y'all that like Ritual. I liked the first self-titled album the best.

Have y'all ever listened to that?

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I have. Can't tell you why but I don't like it as much. The thing about Ritual I actually thinkg ...Stealing is the weakest song on the album otherwise full of masterpieces.

7. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think Nothing Shocking is pretty close to perfect. I think I had the cassette in my car's tape deck for over a year straight. The first album and Ritual are amazing too.

Eric Avery is an incredible bassist and that lineup is just pure magic. Can't wait to hear what they come up with this time.

8. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

Jan 20, 2008
    Nothing's Shocking is one of the greatest albums ever.

can't wait to see them with NIN in June

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I agree,,88 was THE year for that LA scene.Fishbone's, truth and soul,The Chilli Peppers, Uplift mofo and Nothing shocking!

That was all I listened to that year.

Aj

10. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    Some pics I found.

Fender 610 and 215. What looks to be the Fender Pro 800 head, and something under it....2 spaces, with a VU meter....Compressor? Ashdown back-up head?

janes.

11. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Wow. Never thought I'd see this day again. I saw them twice back in the day and I was floored both times. Such a great unit. Never liked them with other bassist even though the others were technically better. He just fits in so well. The glue.

12. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Nothing Shocking is maybe the most underrated album ever. It was so far ahead of its time when it came out it was not even funny. Ritual to me just as good, but not as impacting. I saw them on the Ritual tour just before they broke out in a small theater in Chapel Hill (go Tarheels!) then again a year later on Lollapolooza. Simply amazing live and yes one of my favorite bassists. Great lines.

13. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Great band! Only heard a few of their tunes and I already love his playing style. I plan to buy some of their albums soon, probably the three mentioned in this thread (as long as I can find them! Already saw Nothing's Shocking in the CD store). "Three Days" and "Ted, Just Admit It..." have such groovy basslines, can't wait to hear all the surprises when I pick up their CD's! That's the beauty of buying entire albums, isn't it? You only know a few songs from the band and you can't wait to hear what's in store for you!