Eric Bana New James Bond!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Boplicity, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just heard on CNN Headline News that the Australian actor Eric Bana (Incredible Hulk, Troy) has been chosen as the new James Bond after Pearce Brosnan was unable to settle some vague dispute with the 007 producers.

I like Bana and thought he was especially good in "Troy", but I can't see him as James Bond. I was rooting for Clive Owen (King Arthur)or Hugh Jackman (X-Men) to be the new face of Bond.

It has been said the producers want to modernize Bond, making him younger, more hip and more like the action heros in Spiderman and Batman, etc.

To me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." James Bond is a sophisticated, debonaire, man-of-the world spy, not a comic book action hero. I don't think Ian Fleming, who wrote the original James Bond books would approve of this new approach or re-characterization of the great fictional spy.

What do you folks think? Will Eric Bana make a successful James Bond? Or would you suggest someone else for the role?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Slightly OT, but for those of you who don't know, do a search on Eric Bana's past including his character "Poida" on his short lived television show called "Eric".

Its worth a giggle given his current "heartthrob" status!
  3. I am all for new innovative ways of doing things. But only if they are actually better and not just new and innovative. I don't really like bond movies anyways :oops:

Goldeneye was a great game though...
    (there is a thread about it so lets not talk about it. I'm not subscribing)
  4. I think Eric could potentially be a good James Bond, better than Timothy Dalton or Roger Moore in my mind, but if they want to "modernize" 007, I'm not sure Bana is the right man.
    Provided, the only exposure I've had to Bana's work has been Black Hawk Down, The Hulk, and Troy.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Lame! Bond has to be British. or atleast from that damned island. They want hip/modern heart throb? Colin Farrel. He is cool.
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    George Lazenby?
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I loved Bana in Black Hawk Down but haven't seen Troy or Hulk. Can't really picture him as Bond.

brad cook
  8. I believe Colin is Irish. Hence, he is not from "that damned island." He's from that other island next to that "damned" one.
  9. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I say we get Sean Connery back.

BTW, I don't like Bond movies. They're all the same and get boring real fast.
  10. Colin Farrel isn't british.

He's Irish :p

EDIT: made a mistake
  11. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Isnt Connery Scottish? (which is Part of the UK and therefore British)

Also, if Colin Farrel is from Northern Ireland, he would also be British.
  12. Whoops, you're right about connery. My bad. I'll edit that out.
  13. Nup, he's Scottish.

Eh, maybe it's an Australian thing. Having said that, I think Hugh Jackman is a better choice that "Poida" (not our Poida, the other one). Bana would make me laugh all the way through the movie, 'cos I'd remember him doing Poida or Ray Martin or the son-in-law from "The Castle". :D *laughs uncontrollably*

Nup, Jackman all the way.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    who is james bond?

15. Interesting. Judging by the performances I have seen, Bana seems to by fairly versatile actor. He was incredible in "Chopper".

I haven´t cared about Bond flicks since Moore stepped down. But if the news are true, I could be persuaded to go and see the next one, just to see how Bana pulls it off.
  16. Poida was classic....i used to love his version of Ray Martin on full frontal...and they had that old couple in the crowd....i wish full frontal came back on :(
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep. My mates still call me Poida, as do the people at work. Poida has been my email sign-off for years..........

For those who are saying thay can't see Bana as a James bond, I have two things to say to you:-

1) You simply haven't seen enough of his work. He is incredibly versatile. When he was first cast as the lead roll in Chopper, the whole of Australia yelled "You're Kidding" all at once. He surprised everybody and totally nailed it. A brilliant career starting performance and managed to improved with every film.

2) Everyone said the same thing about Pearce Brosnan..........
  18. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Colin Farrel's a midget... He makes Tom Cruise look tall, & Cruise is only like 5'7" or something...
  19. That is my favourite piece of acting EVER. I absolutely adore the job he did in that. Although, his Ray Martin was fantastic too!! Ahh...back in the 90s... :p

20. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Colin Farell is from Ireland not Northern Ireland there is a BIIIGG difference there lads.Well at least he will have the accent.Pierce Brosnan is from Ireland so hes not from England either