Eric Clapton & Jaco Pastorius - B min Jam

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jazzbo, Aug 1, 2001.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I ran across an mp3 which identifies itself as a Bmin jam duet, Eric Clapton & Jaco Pastorius.

I had no idea this existed. If this is legit, it is certainly very different from much of Jaco's playing that I've heard. It seems that Eric gets all the solos while Jaco stays very much to an ostinato figure. This is different from any Jaco I've ever known. Not that this is a disappointing recording, but it doesn't really do anything for me. I would've loved to see what Jaco could've brought to the blues genre. It's not a crime for Jaco to stick to an ostinato figure, but with his creativity and technical ability I think he was capable of much more.

Is this a fraud, or is that really Clapton and Jaco? If so, any thoughts?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I dimly remember a passage in Milkowski's Jaco book about such a concert with Jaco and some (blues) guitar greats. But it took place in his dark years and he didn't get much recognition there (probably didn't care much either).
    Unfortunately I don't have the book here with me, so I might be wrong. Perhaps somebody else can veri- or falsify this.
  3. JMX, the blues jam you are referring to is with Albert Collins. :)
  4. I heard that as well (Napster, I think), to me it didnt sound like Jaco, it doesnt groove at all. It didnt even resemble his playing. To be honest, I thought it was pretty bad bass playing.
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't think it was neither of both.
    It sound too different.
    It might be though. It could haave been anybody, everybody could play that bass line as good as that.
    Maybe it was Jaco on an off night.
  6. I wonder if this might be as authentic as the Stanley Clarke/Les Claypool slap jam, or the Flea bass solo also on Napster??? I know that the Stanley/Claypool one was definitely bogus because I've seen it on some mp3 site and I found out that it was by some bass player in California. I think the authenticity of some jams on Napster must be questioned.
  7. I have the supposed Jaco/Clapton thing.. sounds fake to me.
  8. I have that MP3 as well and it just doesnt sound as crazy as most other Jaco stuff.
  9. Dang, now I have to remove the mp3 from my harddrive!

I have another mp3 which says Jaco and Jimmi Hendrix, would that be fake as well? :confused:
  10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Eric Who?

I want to hear Jaco Wih Albert Collins!!!!!!

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have it. I've always assumed it's fake.
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It sounds like the bassist is using a P-bass o_0? Jaco isn't so repetitive with his blues lines.. Oh well, I still have a 21 minute track of Jaco with Jimmy Paige doing Fannie Mae.. (Yes, it's real)
  13. jm1

Nov 12, 2003
    I have the alleged MP3 to. Jaco or not, this is still a really cool track. :bassist:

14. whaaaa, You HAVE to tell me where you got this.

And I also think that the song is fake, it just doesn't have that Jaco tone or feel. Plus its so repetitive, not like jaco at all.
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My secret ;). Talk to me on AIM and I'll gladly send it to you.