1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oddly, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I saw this documentary last night at a screening followed by a 'live' discussion between Eric, the director Lili Zanuck and Jools Holland.

It was very interesting, not a whole lot I didn't know already about him, and perhaps too much reliance on lingering shots of photographs and home movie footage, but it certainly gave a pretty true version of his life so far.
    I certainly came away with a lot of respect for him as a man who has survived a lot of hard times, even if a lot of it seemed of his own making.
    Musically there wasn't a great deal of technical detail or discussion of how he wrote (apart from the song about his son Conor).

Overall, I'd highly recommend it as a view of the highs and lows of a legend.

I'd be curious about anyone else's views on it.

2. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Watching it right now. So far, so good.

3. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I have it on the DVR.
    ...looking forward to it even more now...

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Would those be the 12 bars between Lane and 12th on High Street?

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I had known about a lot of his story, but was amazed at the depth of f’ed-upness in regards to his relationship with his birth mother. If the accounts are true, she was one stone cold piece of work. The depths of his early 70’s drug hell and subsequent alcoholism was astonishing, but I was aware of at least the surface story. I know of some of his bad behavior. In the mid-70’s, his backing band, of course, was primarily from Tulsa, OK. I was going to school there, and the band(ostensibly on their own)was slated to play at Cain’s Ballroom, a great old honky tonk dancehall(with a spring loaded floor!). But the rumors were heavy that he was going to show up, and he did fly in, except he was raging drunk when he landed, and was detained after he was caught tossing luggage over a balcony at the airport. He didn’t make the gig. Even after recalling that, I was still shocked at his belligerence on stage in some of the clips. One thing that bothered me about the doc was there were major chunks of his history gone missing, or glossed over, if not misreported. They just left the Eric/Patti/George thing hanging, never going into how it got resolved. After all, Eric later went with George to tour Japan, that’s a real heavy reconciliation. They didn’t cover the Delaney & Bonnie era(which lead to his first solo album, and was a major stylistic sea change for him), the Bangladesh concert, or the Rainbow concert that Pete Townsend put together to try to get EC back on track. But the biggest appearent fib was the circumstances under which he first encountered Jimi Hendrix. By all accounts I’ve read/viewed, and this includes those from Ginger, Jack, AND Chas Chandler, who instigated the event(supposedly Hendrix would only go with Chandler to the UK if he could meet Clapton), Jimi was taken to an early Cream gig in Manchester(not London). There, Chandler begged the band to let this new guy sit in for a song(Baker supposedly was not too happy about it). Jimi plugged into one of Jack’s amps, and they launched into Howlin’ Wolf’s “Killing Floor”. Clapton reportedly just stopped playing halfway through the song, realizing that his clock just got cleaned. The way Clapton tells it in this film is a sort of vague face-saving exercise, that it happen later in a London club. Very curious.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  6. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Watched it a couple of days ago on my DVR. A certain amount I didn't know, but I thought Lili Zanuck was too heavy handed with all the extraneous photos, lingering too long on many, trying too hard to do something "artistic" and didn't quite get there. It got a little laborious for me.

7. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I remain broken-hearted.
    I’ve always known that my very favorite Clapton record was recorded After heroin...
    Ihad no idea that he would lump it in with his ‘drunken’ albums.

8. Dr F clef

Dr F clef

Sep 4, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I saw this and really liked it. Despite being aware of most of the hard times he went through, to see it as one continuous story was sobering (no pun intended). I was just left with the impression that his life up to the past few years was simply one soul crushing experience after another, punctuated with good music. I'm amazed the guy is still alive. I have a lot more sympathy for him after seeing this film.

the harp unstrung likes this.