Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eric Claridge and Doug McCombs (The Sea and Cake, Tortoise, etc.)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tightbidness, Aug 26, 2003.

1. I'm curious if there are any Eric Claridge or Doug McCombs fans out there. Eric is The Sea and Cake's bassist. Doug plays with Tortoise and Eleventh Day Dream (among others) and has released several albums under the name Brokeback.

DjangoKid likes this.
  2. DjangoKid

DjangoKid

Feb 27, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Watch my powers to raise the dead!

HUGE fan here. Eric is one of my favorite players, a perfect combination of melody and rhythm.

tightbidness likes this.
  3. joeaba

joeaba

Aug 20, 2015
    Georgia
    I've been a tortoise fan for at least 20 years. TNT was a great accomplishment.

DjangoKid likes this.
  4. DjangoKid

DjangoKid

Feb 27, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    It is one of my desert island discs. Every time I listen to it I hear something new.

I Set My Face to the Hillside is a classic. How about Seneca and Monica on Standards?

joeaba likes this.
  5. joeaba

joeaba

Aug 20, 2015
    Georgia
    I can certainly agree with that. Swing from the gutters always inspires.

6. It's great that TNT is getting some love here. I love all Tortoise albums, but TNT is their masterpiece.

New album coming in early 2016 according to Jeff Parker.

7. joeaba

joeaba

Aug 20, 2015
    Georgia
    Here's a link to great Song for those who haven't heard it.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    Not as familiar with Sea and Cake, though I saw them once and I lived in Chicago when The Cocktails were still around.

Pretty big Tortoise fan, though. Fave will always be Millions Now Living Will Never Die. The Gamera / Cliff Dweller Society 12" got spun a lot at my place too. TNT is also a killer album.

Glad and a little surprised to hear this discussion here.

joeaba likes this.
  9. joeaba

joeaba

Aug 20, 2015
    Georgia
    I was certainly glad as well. I'm not as alone as I originally thought.