eric langlois-cryptopsy bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Dec 28, 2001.

1. as with metal basses who don't stick to rock rhythms eric langlois from cryptopsy is one of the sickest metal/rock/whatever bassist ive have heard he has some crazy chorus pounded grooves to some hi-fi funk. anyone want to name some othere extreme forms of heavy metal bassist? steve digiorgio is a good groover as well.
  2. the bassist of Nile is quite amazing too, same goes for their drummer, damn does he have a pair of quick feet :eek:
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Yep, drives me nuts when I go back and listen to the cd's.
  4. have you seen the interview with gorguts the bassist's tone is pure crap man! its a waste of a warwick! maybe those canadians like a different kinda of tone but percussive my monkey butt! its pure paper wrap sounding.
  5. what band is sean and tony from?
  6. I like the fact that Eric Langlois is more imaginitive than most people would be in his position. I've heard one of the Cryptopsy demos and wheter or not it's him on bass, he used to use a pick and try and double either the bass drums or snare. It sounded very precise, but very boring. He's clearly a fingerstyle player now and there's no way he could keep up with Flo's drumming in places, so he's clever and bounces of different parts of the kit.

Steve DiGiorgio's playing in Sadus and Death has been amazing. His sound on the last Testament album should be a lesson to all rock/metal bassists. The amount of air he manages to shift with that tone is wonderful.

Tony Choy is a great player, but his tone on the Cynic demos and the latter Atheist albums was horrible. It robbed the music of any warmth.

I'm afraid I don't find anything special in Chief Spire's playing with Nile. The bass was just a muddy presence more than anything.
  7. the demo didnt have langlois on it he came later in cryptopsy.

cynic was alright but it was weal, pestilence and athiest rule.
  8. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah cryptopsy bassist is amazing. My old band played with them and I was "trying" to talk to him about his carvin but his english is a little off. He was putting on new strings and saying something to me but I had no idea...:p Gorguts player (AKA Brad Pitt) did not impress me. Saw them live and the guy was just doin the "clank".

Tony Choy! someone knows about him! whatever happened to him? last i heard he formed a fusion jazz band back in 1995 but nothing has been heard....I do agree that Choy's tone on the Cynic demos, Tetimony, Unquestionable P, sucks bad. I mean if that's what he likes fine but I can't hear notes....I hear clank click clank clank.

Malone is a good player but he's sort of like a Berlin, Willis wanna-be. Cynic was a weak band (sorry). I saw them play back in 1994 and was not impressed (neither was the crowd who threw beer bottles at them, talk about dis-respect!!!!!!) and talked to that Malone guy for a long time after the gig. His tone is what I like but his style was so-so, yes he is an excellent player but I'd rather listen to Garry Willis or Jeff Berlin/Bruford.

Steve DiGiorgio! hahaha, very good.
  9. no way is steve a jazz bassist but he can play on a unlined fretless and groove so thats way better then most metal bassist, he tunes EADGC on his 5-er and thats very rare for metal and every other genre.
  10. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Steve does have that fusion/weirdo Dark Hall band. I got two cds of them...not bad stuff but not really jazz. Good chops for someone that plays by ear. I saw an interview with him and that tuning is quite odd. Instead of a low B he's got that high C on his custom ESP (ugly body) fretless.
  11. also eric's tone is impeccable. in the song slit your guts he has that funk part. that BANG is bright as hell.
  12. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    slit was a good tune, i think that album is the only good album they ever put out. the recording is awesome, the snare drum is awesome, the bass guitar is awesome. good stuff if you are into death metal. Good break down parts also. The only thing I HATED was the vocals. Terrible...

Also live I didn't think they were good. I could never hear the bass guitar ever, it was always drowned out in the "mud". Oh well...
  13. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Eric Langlois is phenomenal for tying the sh*t that Cryptopsy's guitarists and their drummer Flo Mournier put together IMO - i was not a great fan of Martin Ferguson their original bass player, who really stunk up their first LP "Blasphemy Made Flesh", particularly with his tone. while it was clearly audible once he started moving up the neck (and doing his little "pop" thing, especially noticeable on the track "Defenestration"), it had no depth and was way too thin to be anything other than a blemish on the beautiful chaos that is Cryptopsy.

if you've seen him live and noticed him stuffing up his parts, give the guy a break - that stuff is hard, and coupled with several shots of the most demonic heroin to the eyeballs, it's even harder :D

long live the art of shred.
  14. i like the old bassist tone, it was crazy how it sounded. i think with better production it could sound way more harder.