1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eric Revis

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    One of my personal idols.

Very interesting.

jallenbass likes this.
  2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    No jive zone when Eric's around, that's fo sho! Had a lesson with him a couple months back and my head is still spinning with his concept!

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Can you talk a little about his concept? I'd love to learn more.

4. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Thats a great vid . . . thanks for posting. ER has such a killer sound.

5. *fenderbass*

*fenderbass*

Dec 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    The little bit of Eric I have heard has impressed me. I really liked his interview. It was cool that he mentioned Parlament and Family Man among his influences and admitted he still practices with those records.

I'll definitely be picking up "Tales of the Sputtering Mime".

Is there any other recordings with Eric that I should be rushing out to get?

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago

I personally love his playing with Branford. The Love Supreme live in Amsterdam video rarely leaves my DVD player.

7. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Wow, beautiful sound. I could never get in to Branford, I actually like Wynton better, to paraphrase Walter, at least Wynton's Fascism "is an ethos".
    Branford is just too unfocused (tonight show, sting, hip hop albums, etc) and the the comments he made about Cecil Taylor in Ken Burns Columbia Records comercial show that he lacks depth and understanding of the music, not that everyone needs to like it, but he should at least get it.
    So the question is what does Revis have out that is Marsalis free?

Jeshua likes this.
  8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Branford's last two records have been awesome IMHO. Very focused. Give him a chance before. I agree that in his youth he was a little all-over-the-map but his last few efforts are awesome.

9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Nah, the Marsalis' hands are way too dirty. I can respect Wynton's quest for world domination, but he and by proxy his brothers got it at too high an expense, a lot of great creative players got put out of work for him Crouch to get where they are.
    Anyway, Revis is a fantastic player.

10. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    First off, Eric is a BASS player. He keeps it low and grooving. Yes he does practice with P-Funk records, as well as James Brown, and Bob Marley. He gave me a CD of tunes and grooves he likes to practice with. He's a big proponent of functionality. He taught me to find the "sweet spot" on my bass and a different way of practicing and "messing" around with the circle of fourths. Another thing he was big on was root/third relationships in ii-V cycles. Tie all that together with root progression excercises and you have one baffled bass student. I look forward to my next lesson with him, it' just takes time for us to sync up with his busy schedule and my busy schedule. He's a super cool dude and likewise makes being a functional, solid player cool again.

Reiska likes this.
  11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks TX.

Whatever Damon. Your loss. He's making some great music. Too bad you have such a bad taste in your mouth that you won't even give it a chance. While I can respect Wynton's approach and philosophy and I like most of his stuff Branford's last couple records are way more inspired than anything I've heard from his brother IMHO.

12. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Has anyone ever wondered what Thanksgiving is like at the Marsalis house? Seriously guy's, EVERYONE in that family is a great musician, and they should be remembered as such. No one in that family, however, is a trained orator, so I tend to ignore what they say, and just listen to the music.

13. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I am sure it is all of our loss for not experiencing the genius of Albert Speer's archticture, but I guess there are some things that are unforgivable.
    In the '80s when Crouch and Wynton had their ascent to power, they ruined a lot of careers and killed the monetary support for a lot of the more avant garde jazz to get what they have now.
    I see them as politicians by trade and not musicians, so I can understand where they are coming from. While they can all play none of them are interesting or innovative enough to make what they did to get where they are forgivable enough for me to give them a dime (even the harddrive space an illegal download would take up).
    If you already dig the neo-conservative jazz they push then you won't notice what was sacrificed.

14. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    What was sacrificed? What good is music without an audience? It can be argued that avant-garde, smooth jazz, and fusion styles put just as many, if not more musicians out of business by scaring away our potential customers. While I may not agree with some of the things Wynton has said, I have to acknowledge the fact that he did bring swing music back a little from the brink of total demise. There's also a reason why more orchestra's play Mozart and Beethoven than Schoenburg and Webern. Can we call them lame because they don't play "modern" music? Why don't we recognize the talent and skill required to master the instrument and the idiom over petty politics?

15. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    - Do some research. Crouch and Wynton actively went after musicians in print and had them blacklisted from clubs, labels and festivals where they had actual work. So in this case the politics are hardly petty.
    They got what they have directly at the expense of other musicians.

16. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago

What does this have to do with Branford?

Also, there are a bunch of guys that have said and done some stupid stuff. (keithy-poo) Why is this different?

Also, there are countless jazz players that have done all manner of things for money. Do you dislike Christian McBride because he played with Sting and Diana Krull? Or Keith Jarrett for making that god awful pop record that showed up in the EC vs GP thread? Or Herbie, or Miles, and the list goes on and on...

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I don't really have an opinion one way or another about Christian. It all depends on whether the art outwieghs the offensive act.
    For Keithy-poo I feel like that trio is enough for me, but then I think his little outbursts are sort of cute.
    It also has to do with whether an artist has access to our personal cd/mp3 player not if they live or die.

18. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    So it is a double standard.

And I ask again... What does this have to do with Branford?

19. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    He rode in on his brothers fame, even if he deviated soon after. Plus his music is not interesting enough to me.
    I don't know about double standard, but it has to do with how offensive vs. how interesting to me personally.

20. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Just when I think I get you Damon you whip out something like this. I thought about trying to dig some dirt about other names in jazz but it is a waste of my time. It sounds to me like you are just being stubborn.

I'm going to go listen to Branford's latest effort Braggtown. Great record.

edit: I take back the elitist comment because I don't like name calling. That said I think there is a double standard based on the opinion of the Marsalis family that exists in certain circles.