Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eric Wilson from Sublime

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Basslizard, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Basslizard

Basslizard

Aug 19, 2000
    Is this guy not amazing? He has to be the best bass player around.

2. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    He's pretty good. Sublime used to be my all time favorite band, and he was my hero..but..i grew out of it. My only complaint is that he improvises too much. I have yet to get the Date Rape song down pact cuz i can't seem to tab all his improv...oh well. Cool guy.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm learning "Santeria" for a band I'm working with. It's a nice jumpy little bass line, and I like the song. My impression is that he uses patterns around chords, so it wasn't overly hard to figure out. If you can't figure out his improv, do your own; it wasn't meant to have definite structure in the first place! ;)

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah eric is the man...
    his best basslines in my opinion are the ones in 40 Oz to freedom...then in Robbin´ the hood and finally in self titled cd.

this means that he did a splendid job in their first CD but it feels like they were going to get more pop, so the bass were "softened" in a way. you can hear the diference between the first and the last record.

but anyway he´s great.

(I haven´t heard him with the long beach dub allstars, but i´m willing to)

see ya

5. eric's the guy who made me want to play bass, because he dominated the band, musically. i love brad nowell's voice but all he did musically was throw in some choked-off ska riffs from time to time, so the songs were really built around eric. he's great in LBDAS as well.

6. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    he is a great bass player. Sublime was a sweet ska band(even though i think ska isn't really that good).he is probably the main reason i liked them

7. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    Old York
    I'm going to bring back a 9 year old thread just to add this:
    Eric Wilson is Jesus.

8. 9 years later. Yes, still true.

9. But John Lennon is bigger than Eric Wilson.:D

10. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    Old York
    Ohh, so that's what he meant :p

11. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    I love Eric's playing with Sublime: my bro in law has made me listen to Sublime's best every time we take a yearly trip and it is one of the best things about the drive!

When Eric dies on the cross for our sins- then we'll see... but I highly doubt it ;)

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Eric Wilson looks like he ate John Lennon.....

13. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    Old York
    Harsh..

14. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    He single handedly led me to purchase my very first bass!

15. ebola zaire

ebola zaire

May 25, 2008
    California
    Eric is my all time favorite bass player. When he plays live, no matter what he is playing, he makes it look like the easiest line in the world!

16. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Eric Wilson makes Sublime sublime.

17. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm glad to see all of the Eric Wilson love, he truly grooves like no other. Whether it's straight forward or one-drop, he dominating with his groove. He is also the reason I wanted to start playing bass, I grew up with Sublime in the 90's. I missed this thread didn't I?

18. cool to see him touring as sublime again, with the new singer rome..normally i dont like it when bands do that after someone dies, but they got the right guy with them. Love his lines

19. Much like this resurrected thread, I incidentally re re re re discovered 40 oz a few days ago when I found a copy of it in an old cd book I had forgotten about. I am so grown out of being the kind of guy I was when I was obsessed with sublime, but that album is freakin amazing. Still diggin Eric's work. Like most awesome bands, he was the best part IMO.

20. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    agreed, but Brad Nowell was a pretty great songwriter too, and an innovator in using older reggae songs and making them his own.