Eric Wilson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by westendrioter29, May 7, 2002.

1. eric wilson was the bass player for sublime then he was in long beach dub allstars and now he has joined mars volta with two of the guys from at the drive in. i was wonder what you guys think of him. i have always felt that his bass lines were complex but yet fit the song so well. now lets hear what you guys have to say. thanx:D
  2. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    he helped shape my style a lot. he's one of my main influences.
  3. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Excellent! Eric ought to bring some good influence into that band.
  4. really?? do you have a link? that's pretty cool, the mars volta rocks.
  5. My thoughts on Eric are that he is a very creative bass player. his lines really create great grooves for the songs and he is a large influence on me.
  6. sws bassist

sws bassist

Oct 22, 2002
    he is one of my all time favorite bass players of all time and one of the reasons i started.
  7. Dabassman267

Oct 23, 2002
    Man, Eric Wilson is my teacher. I also downloaded some of Mars Volta off of Kazaa, and I got this weird techno classical stuff. So is it Mars Volta or Sparta. Anyway,

8. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    In my opinion The Mars Volta blow Sparta out of the water. They do have some techno and classical type songs which is cool I think, but some of the more rockish stuff is "The Mars Volta - concertina", "The Mars Volta - Eunuch Provovateur", and "The Mars Volta - Eat the sun(Cicatrix)" just to name a few, try these they are all really good.
  9. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    I hadn't purchased a Sublime album or downloaded any of their songs until last month... Yeah I'm an assclown. Anyway I had only heard their mainstream radio play stuff (where I thought Eric's playing was crazy complex and overshadowed by Brad's voice) and hadn't really looked heavily into their other stuff. Now that I've been trying to listen to them and his playing a little more closey I can see that his basslines really made those songs groove along in the ass-kicking way that they do. Sublime was obviously great but I hope Eric really emerges and is recognized as a great artist in his own right. Wish I could play 1/4 as good as him.
  10. defhed2012

Mar 24, 2001
    The bassist on the Tremulant EP is a chick, but she left the band and they had another guy on tour this last year but now hes out too. Reportedly they got flea to play bass on the new album they are working on. Peace.
  11. Ah...eric wilson, the god of thunder. i love the guy. his lines are awesome, he's definitely influenced me a bit.
  12. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Eric is one of my biggest influences
  13. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I knew the chick played on the tremulant EP, but Flea?, I'm pretty sure thats just a rumor. They should get their old bassist from ATDI to come play with them.
  14. defhed2012

Mar 24, 2001
    but the chili peppers did just take mars volta out as their opening band in europe which gives the rumor a bit more validity