Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball 2x10 for $250 new on e-bay -- deal???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Feb 25, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    here they are...

20 new Musicman 2x10 cabs for $250 each, plus $35 shipping. These things listed for like $800, right? What gives? They're shipping directly from the Ernie Ball factory.

Ernie ball web site has no info. Looks like their cabs got discontinued.

Anyone played these things? Looks like a pretty great deal, no?

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    for 250 id say its a deal, ive never played one though but still 250's not bad for a 2x10 the 2x12's are 350

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have one, bought a few months ago since it was such a deal. When arranging shipping, I spoke to a dude at Ernie Ball. The cabs have been discontinued, apparently the market conditions were less than perfect and they didn't sell, for whatever reason, and they're blowing out what was left, with all profits going to the Casey Lee Ball Foundation charity.

Fact of the matter is that these are GREAT cabs, and for the money they are a tremendous buy. Mine sounds excellent, and I use all Aguilar speakers otherwise.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have the 2x12 and the 2x10. Great cabinets, fantastic price. I am very pleased with mine. Each cabinet sounds killer as either a stand-alone or used together. These are good sounding, well made, heavy-duty cabinets (emphasis on heavy). The 2x10 listed for $799, and the 2x12 listed for over $1000. I wouldn't hesitate, get 'em while you can.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Good luck SMASH. I hope that they're able to come through for you.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I got the 2/12 & 2/10....one of the best deals I've had on E-Bay!.......and thats when they paid shipping;) If they are out of stock now, I would just keep checking E-Bay.....they seem to pop up every couple weeks or so. You can't beat these cabs at that price point:bassist:

7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Could I trouble any of you guys for the spec's on the 2x12 that is showing up on E Bay. How much does it weight? The LxWxH? Are they 4 or 8 ohms? What is the pwr rating? Anything more or less would be appreciated!!
    Thanks, Danny

8. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Courtesy of Nick Gann :

HD-212
    One 6" Midrange Driver
    Sensitivity - 100dB
    Voice Coil Diameter - 38mm
    Winding Material - Aluminum
    Former Material - Glass Fiber
    Magnet Diameter - 4.75" (120mm)

Two 12" Bass Drivers
    Sensitivity [1W/1m] - 96 dB
    Vioce Coil Diameter - 3" (76mm)
    Magnet Diameter - 7" (180mm)
    Driver Impedance - 16 ohms

Enclosure Specifications
    Enclosure Impedance - 8 ohms
    Crossover Frequency - 1.8kHz
    Frequency Response - -3dB @ 40Hz and 12kHz
    Max Power Handling - 600 Watts RMS
    Connections - (2) Speakon Jacks and (1) 1/4" Phone Jack
    Size - 24"(w) x 24" (h) x 18" (d)
    Weight - 95 lbs.

9. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Also courtesy of Nick Gann :

HD-210
    One Super Tweeter
    Sensitivity [1W/1m] - 105dB
    Voice Coil Diameter - 1" (25mm)
    Dispersion - 80º conical
    Diaphragm Material - Phenolic

Two 10" Bass Drivers
    Sensitivity [1W/1m] - 98.5 dB
    Vioce Coil Diameter - 2.55" (65mm)
    Magnet Diameter - 6" (155mm)
    Driver Impedance - 16 ohms

Enclosure Specifications
    Enclosure Impedance - 8 ohms
    Crossover Frequency - 3kHz
    Frequency Response - -3dB @ 50Hz and 20kHz
    Max Power Handling - 350 Watts RMS
    Connections - (2) Speakon Jacks and (1) 1/4" Phone Jack
    Size - 24"(w) x 17.5" (h) x 18" (d)
    Weight - 64 lbs.

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey. I have the 210 and 212. The 212 specs are...

LOL, as I started typing this, I see Smash already beat me to it! I guess you hit the "submit new post" button just as I hit the "new reply" button ;)

Well, there ya go for the specs. If you are interested, I also have the specs for the 210.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    All of the information on the 2x12 is on the eBay auctions.

12. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks Smash, Nick Gann and Turock. I guess I should have checked the site more for the info that Turock said is there. That will teach me to look first, ask ?'s later...so would you all prefer the Ernie Ball Music Man Audiophile 2x12 ( as see on E Bay) or the Avatar 212? Forget about the price first, and then include the cost in your desicion please. I am looking for something to add to my Ashdown ABM-500 and it's 210 ABM Ashdown cabinet as a extension.

Thanks again to you all!!!
    Danny

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What he said.

14. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Do you guys know what drivers Ernie B. uses in these cab's? They don't show up on the Ernie B website. There don't seem to be many reviews of them around. I wonder when they started making them? They do weight 95lbs! Grunt...

Danny

15. I've heard maybe one or two negative reviews of these cabs, utterly outweighed by tons of very positive opinions. I was this close to buying one of the 212s on Ebay, but they're pricier than Avatar and I started thinking twice about that 95lb weight. I'm a small guy, and I'll almost certainly have to carry all my stuff, by myself, up and down possibly narrow staircases quite often next year, so I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off with 2x210 rather than 210+212. That and I'm not entirely sure I could fit 210+212 in my car :meh: Regardless, I'm still very tempted to just grab one anyway. Must...restrain...self...

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm pretty sure that EB MM cabinets have these speakers:
    http://www.bcspeakers.com/

They are fairly heavy, but the weight of these cabinets are about the same as most quality 4x10 cabinets, Eden, Aguilar, etc.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The drivers are B&C, and are made by a very good Italian speaker company. The cabs are heavy, but sound great!

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If i had the money i'd jump on it. From what i've read is that they are great cabs. The worst part to me is that it seems like a great line, i like the look of the cabs, but it seems like they just flopped. Either they're just didn't get all the marketing pushes they needed or what but if i had money i'd buy those & push back thinking about the upright for a while. Thats all