Ernie Ball actually manufactures OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im hoping youre being sarcastic.
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It says so in the auction description. It must be true!
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'll write on a page that I rule the universe. ;)
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    So you intend to state you wanna take my place ?

Well, OLP guitars & basses are licensed with Music Man (and also Spector, IIRC), but they are definitely made in an Asian factory, and I believe Ernie Ball plays no real part on QC over these instruments.

5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Exactly. Licenced by EB, yes. Assembled, no.
  6. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    When I first saw one in the store I thought OLP meant
    Parts :)
  7. Bullitt

Feb 12, 2004
    Central Indiana
    Hello, fellow TB'ers. I am so grateful that you all have enjoyed my music over the years and think that I am the greatest bassist of all time. Although I must agree that I am the greatest, I still did not know that Ernie made the OLP version of his bass. Pleae forgive me for calling myself Bullitt all this time on the board but I would never get you all to stop posting to me.

PS...The guy on ebay knows me too.
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I want something jazzy and augmented.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "OLP" stands for "Original Licensed Product."

Kind of like calling a show about crime scene investigations "CSI" or a show about medical investigations "Medical Investigations."
  10. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My only bash against the guy is that well, he put it under the fender jazz section.

People should get their facts straightened out, because even if it will get more looks, its just plain stupid :p
  11. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Sterling Ball has his hands in the OLP company, at least the money making business side of it. It was a company formed between him and another (I can't remember his name) as an answer to having a cheap import line of instruments without having to actually make make them personally. It used to say this right on the OLP website. I'm trying to locate the link now....
  12. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Where can I get some of these "TWEEKED VOLUME AND TONE KNOBS"

I hear they make you play faster.
  13. I heard from a shop salesman that the reason for OLP basses is that the patent or copyright on the MM humbucking pickup ran out, so to counter all the inevitable cheap clones that would come out they licensed their own copies.

if this is true it would explain why before OLP appeared the Vintage stingray knockoffs had humbuckers made from 2 J p/ups, and since they've got more authentic types.
  14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I do have a problem with this person implying that these are made in the same factory/same people/same parts as the real thing.
  15. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Korea and SLO, CA are the same place...aren't they?!?

16. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

I'm sold. They must use better electronics than the real Ernie Ball basses.

I want a bass that creates giant waves but not tsunami size waves because that would be really dangerous. :bag:
  17. I read a recent review of the OLP's in the most recent Bass Player mag (well most recent in Australia any way!!) It stated that OLP's were licenced by Sterling Ball and some other guy, but they are made in an Asian factory. It also stated that while they felt OK to play, the wiring and electronics were pretty shonky, especially the pots. I played one in a shop here and it felt OK but I never plugged it in, coz to me, $700 Australian dollars is way too much for a passive clone.
  18. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    OLP guitars are part of a company called Hanser Holdings. They are the company that owns B.C. Rich, Kustom, and several others. The OLP basses are made in Asia, and are "licensed", for their design, by Ernie Ball. E.B. gets a licensing fee for each piece made, but as far as I know has nothing to do with them otherwise.