Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball and/or other string company sponsorships?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zoxbassist, Aug 21, 2004.

1. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Hi- I'm looking into getting a string sponsorship for my band Zox. Our guitarist changes his strings every night we play (5 nights a week), and our violinist (b/c he plays really hard) breaks a few every night as well. Our guitarist uses Ernie Ball strings-- does anyone know the name of the person there to contact re: artist endorsements? Our violinist is not picky about which strings he uses, so any name of anybody at any company that makes violin strings would help me as well. As for myself (the bass player), I want to try out different strings in the studio (nickel, steel, flatwounds), so a string sponsorship would help me a lot. Does anyone know the name of the representative from D'addario or DR? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd check all the respective websites - most have an "artist relations/endorsement" page that will give you a snail-mail address to send a promotional package to (CD, Bio, Resume, Professional Photos, etc...)

However, the fact that you're somewhat trolling for an endorsement (honestly, I'll give you that) is showing your true colors. You don't want the string that works best for you, you're simply looking for free/reduced price strings. I'd imagine most company reps will be able to tell that as well.

I'd also imagine that string endorsements are the hardest to get because of the low visibility factor. You can see an amplifier logo onstage, you can see a instrument's logo and body styling onstage... from the string company's point-of-view, what promotion are you giving them by simply playing live? (as the vast majority of people can't tell strings visually) If you're selling a large amount of CD's at your 5x a week gigs or have a website that gathers a large amounts of hits and would be willing to mention the company, I can see that being of use to them. Otherwise... :rollno:

Not to sound overly pessimistic, but you have to think of what promotion you can give them, and not vice verse. That why it's the music business.

Edit: I'm not going to temper what I said above, but after checking out your website I have to say I'm impressed - well done in both format and ease-of-use, you're got music as well as a large amount of merch for sale, a well-written bio and large amount of press info, and a good amount of regional (as opposed to simply local) gigging. My best advice would be to set your sights on one company, use the professionalism you've shown on the site, and play up the fact that you've a "non-standard" (violin) instrument in the band -along the lines of "We can *all* use and promote your product!"

Best of luck with your search.

3. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Good points-- we could seek one particular company, but we are all so picky about what we use! Our guitarist only uses Ernie Ball power slinkies, and I myself want to try out different strings before I decide. Our violinist I'm sure will do the same. I put out this post just so I could hopefully get some representatives' names (they usually don't list the actual person's name/email on the site, which you usually need to find first to get an endorsement from what I've experienced) and then make contacts from there.
    You have a very good point about how a string endorsement may be the least beneficial for the company out of all the endorsements, but it really wouldn't cost them anything-- we'd be getting the strings at dealer prices. And the upshot for any company is that we'd be able to recommend them to anyone, and list them in the thank you's of our albums. Plus all the kids would see the string packages as we change 'em on stage, which we have to do quite often :)

4. First off I would say to decide on what brand/style of strings you prefer. A string company is not gonna give you a sponsorship just so you can "try out" their strings. Once you have decided what brand you like and want to use then go to the company website and get their contact information for their Artist Relations department. They will want you to send them a promo pack. They will also want to see that you are signed by a good record company, and have good regional representation. Then if they choose to put you on an artist agreement you will usually sign a contract stating that you will only use their product, you will put their logo on your CD/Websites/Literature, and usually want you to hang banners and talk them up whenever possible.

It's gonna cost you some money to try out different strings and decide which ones are best for you.

I actually just got my band a string sponsorship about a month ago, it took a few emails and a couple hours on the phone talking to the head of the company, but by the time we were done talkiing he was excited to get us sponsored by them. It's a small company, but they make some of the best strings I have ever tried. You can find the link on my bands website

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    If you can't get a freebie deal, you might at least be able
    to get them for a reduced cost, especially if you buy in
    large quantities. My band has an "at cost" endorsement
    with what I think is the best string company in the world.
    We advertise them on our website with logos and links.
    They like that!
    Contact me via PM if you want the details.

Slug

6. Slugworth, what is the "the best string company in the world" in your opinion?

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Rotosound! They're great people that make a great
    product, and they treat ALL of their customers like
    gold, famous or not.

Cheers,
    Slug

8. Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was reading about how sponsorships worked and decided to check zoxbassist's band out. They're really good. Kinda sounds like a cross between kansas and sublime to me. :)