Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ernie Ball Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, May 5, 2001.

Favorite Kind of Erinie Ball/Music Man

Poll closed Jun 4, 2003.
  1. Stingray 5

79 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Stingray 4

68 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Sterling

47 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. Can anyone tell me how much a 4 string Ernie Ball Sterling or Stingray costs? Also can anyone tell me how much a Stingray 5 costs? and does anyone know where I can get them cheap??

2. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    All the ones i've seen at Guitar Center run between 1,100-1,300. Sterling, Stingray, or 5 those are the prices i've seen.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    On ebay, I've seen excellent to mint Stingrays close at around $800-900. QC at Ernie Ball seems to be pretty good (as good as any US production manufacturer, IMO), so I wouldn't be too wary of buying thru ebay off of a small retailer or someone with a decent feedback rating.

4. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    StingRay 5.... all the way. I'll be able to get it on my next birthday. Aww.... :( This is the bass that i WANT.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sterling 4... on order.

6. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I wish there was something like Sterling 5. Such thing ?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Madsky...no Sterling five, sorry.

I find MM SR5s to be a VERY good bass. I fell in love with one, it had an awsome B string...unfortunately, no others have hit me like that one did...but it proves (to me) there is hope. And as far as electronics go, those things will cut through like a knife, which is why a lot of hard rocking bands use them.

Go Music Man...never hurt anyone!

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think the stingray 5's are more like a sterling 5 then anything.

9. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'm in love with MMs now. :) I love the StingRay 5. Do you think it is a good third bass? I'm saving money for it right now. I'll probably get it at the middle of next year. Do you think I should go for it? Or maybe I could fancy a Pushic 5er custom... I like Sterlings more than SRs but I'm a 5er now

Imagine if MusicMan suddenly ceases production of StingRays. ;) Maybe they would. Better to get it now.

10. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Stingray 4 unlined fretless piezo Trans gold with black pearloid guard, Stingray 5 unlined fretless white with white pearloid guard. Scored the fiver on ebay MINT w/hsc $800.
    Doc

11. if i was to buy another musicman it would be another stingray 4.

just a 4 string type of guy

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Limpnoodle ;) -

Good choice, can't go wrong with the EB stuff. I'm a big fan of both the Sterling (my FAVORITE 4 string) and the StingRay5. The StingRay4 is a good bass, but doesn't have the variety of tones available the other 2 do.

As for a good place to get one: (WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!! shameless plug for my workplace ahead!!! ;) ) Bass Central. It's a free call (please don't abuse it though - 800-545-8813), we have a huge inventory of in-stock basses (I'd estimate at least 50 different basses of all the EB's combined), and we're the largest sales volume dealer of EB basses in the US (reason? great service and prices). Also, on in-stock items we have a 48 hour return policy, so if you get a bass that's a dog in your opinion, you're only out the return shipping (this policy doesn't apply on special order or custom items). You won't get a dog with the EB basses though. :D

13. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Limpy,
    You owe it to yourself to give Bass Central a call if your interested in EB products. They are great people to do business with. FWIW I bought my Sterling there.

EB makes some nice stuff. I've played dozens of different instruments over a lot of years and IMO you gotta go to the really high end "boutique basses" to beat the construction and intonation. BTW that Sterling is my main axe.

Tony

14. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Haven't bought a bass there, but Beaver gave me great service and prices on some parts.
    Doc

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Stingray 5 is misnamed IMHO. The electronics are the same as the Sterling and IME it can't quite get the trademark Stingray sound, but it is more versatile.

The only thing Stingray about the 5 IMHO is that it doesn't have the smaller body.

16. What's the diff between the Sterling and the Stingray?

17. embellisher

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sterlings better, comes standard with a mid cut/boost and a voicing switch (which isn't even available on a stingray, except the stingray 5's, and that's standard I believe)

19. embellisher

Watch out saying better without using the IMHO qualification, CEye.

The Sterling is not better, it is more versatile, IMHO.

But like I said in an earlier post, it gets more tonal variety than a Stingray, but if you are looking for the Stingray tone, you need a Stingray. IMHO. ;)

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Aye, the onliest thing that sounds like a 'Ray is a 'Ray (we're talkin' 4's here, the 5 is a totally different beastie).