1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Bass strings ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Godcreep, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Who's using this string set on his bass ? What can you guys tell me about these strings ? (nickel or SS ?) Pro's & Con's ?

Thanx for your replies ! :)

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Ernie ball strings are great. Theyre nickel, not SS. Hybrid is just the name for a certain gauge. Theres also other gauges like super, regular, hybrid, power, etc. Hybrid slinky happens to be 45-105. I use regular, which is heavier at 50-105. Use whatever gauge you want. EB strings sound awesome and feel very good. I have tried Fender, GHS, Elixir, and EB and I like these the most. The only con is that they go dead in about a month (but I practice constantly so YMMV) And the pros are they sound great (as stated above) and they are cheap at ~ $16 a set. Get some man! :D

3. Has anyone tried the 5-string EB slinky bass strings?

I'm thinking of getting a set for my Ibanez BTB 405qm ...

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Yeah, those are awesome too. Same as all other EB strings. And they come with a bitchin' .130 gauge B string. Nice and fat! My brother's friend has them strung on his Stingray 5 and they are great.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like 'em very much on my Stingray 5. Very bright and they last a while, too.

6. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    i use hybrid slinkys and i think they're great...i also have tried all different strings...d'adarrio slowounds, fenders, and i have 2 stay the ernies sound GREAT! they die out quick though but who cares..they're like 15 bucks a pack

7. I used Hybrid Slinky's. They were great strings. I changed gauges though. I changed the gauge of the E string to 100 instead of the 105. I think the 100 gauge is just easier to play. But it depends how it feels to you. Ernie Ball Slinky's are great strings.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great tone at an affordable price. I prefer the brightness of stainless steel.

9. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I have SS hybrids...they're pretty sweet, but I've gotta replace 'em soon...they're getting old. :(

10. Bringing up this old tread to ask how do the SS slinkys compare to Roto 66's? I recently bought a Ray34CA used and came with the hybrid slinkys. I love their tension in comparison to that of the Rotos I have on my other basses, but don't like nickel for some reason.

11. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    I found them extremely metallic when new, but in a good way. The word that comes to my mind is ferrous, if it makes any sense. They are certainly more scooped than the Rotosounds, but super aggressive. The Rotos are really unique, the EBs made me think more of D'Addario Pro Steels. The stiffness is similar to any other hex-core steel round and they age very well. I am a fan of stainless steel strings and these are definitely in my top 3.

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Well, even though it's a serious Zombie thread, it's still a good question that hasn't been asked in a while. So...
    Dano DC bass-1.jpg I use the nickel Hybrids, along with the nickel Regular Slinkys. They're on several of my basses even as we speak. I like them. They're inexpensive; very consistent, quality and sound-wise; and very readily available. They're about the only thing I'll set foot in a Guitar Center for, in fact. However...
    They are not my string of choice to use on any of my 21 basses. Well, I like them on one of my basses, but it's the exception that proves the rule... What I use them for is a baseline starting point for every 34" scale bass that I buy - that doesn't have flats on it when I get it. Every other bass - used or new - has the Slinkys installed, as soon as it's initial function check is done. I set that bass up to my liking, and then I see how it sounds with the Slinkys - after they break in. That tells me which direction I need to go to get the sound I want from that bass. Sometimes they come off right away; sometimes they stay for a while; and sometimes I'll put them back on a time or two. But, with that one exception, they all come off eventually. I dislike round wound strings - a lot; and, I only use them on two other basses - and they're GHS Boomers. Which bass wears Slinkys full time? This Dano DC59 Pro. I have two of them; the other one wears light gauge La Bella DTFs. The Hybrid nickel Slinkys actually sound pretty good on this Dano - and, they're a nice contrast to the La Bella flats, too...:cool:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021