1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ernie Ball Jr Volume pedal 25K

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, May 20, 2011.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I own a EB Jr. 25K volume pedal. As I read the support information, EB tells me this pedal is designed for active basses. I normally use my active basses for live shows. Lately, our setlist requires me to use my passive Jazz V. the volume pedal is in my pedal chain and I really don't want to take it out, nor can I purchase the 250K designed for passive instruments.

Exactly, what will I be losing by using the 25K pedal on my passive bass? Thanks for the help everyone.

2. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    any opinions would be appreciated

3. Schlatte

Schlatte

Dec 25, 2010
    basically you would be losing range...

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

PM Sent.. I have the direct opposite issue... my never used 250k sitting in a box..

Trade PM Sent

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    If you stick the EBVPJr at the end of your signal chain, and supposing that you have a buffer, or an always-on effect, it will work just fine.

6. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    +1
    I have a 25k and if I put it at the beginning of my signal chain, my passive fender precision sounds less punchy and muffled, with less treble content.
    With an active bass or a passive with a buffer or preamp before, no problem !

7. 25K is a relatively direct resistance to place parallel to a high impedance source. You will likely kill off a lot of output.

Do you have any sort of preamp that you can place before the volume pedal to lower the impedance of the signal?

8. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    thanks for all the tips. i do use a VT bass pedal, so i"ll put that in front of the volume pedal when I use my passive bass.

Thanks again all.

9. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Follow up question.

If my wireless received is before my volume pedal is that enough of a buffer as to not cut off tone from my passive bass.

Bass----->wireless receiver--->25 K volume pedal----->chorus--->VT Bass---->amp or mixer.

Thanks.