Ernie Ball Jr volume pedals ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Oct 15, 2003.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I see that Ernie Ball has realeased a smaller set of volume pedals called Jr. Volume. There are 2 models and active model with a 25K range and a passive model with a 250K range. The question I have is which model works better for bass. My basses are "active" (Stringray and Wal) so would that imply that I need the "active" pedal or would the "passive" one work?

I like the idea of the Jr pedals because they seem to be smaller and cheaper.

Any thoughts?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I work for the Aussie distributor of Ernie Ball. We only import the 6180 version (250k) because a majority of out customers for that pedal are guitarists with passive instruments.

The 6181 (25k) is the better model for active instruments in theory.

However, read my sig. Try them both and let your ears decide.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just bought a 6166 volume pedal and the taper does seem a bit too exponential with my basses (which are both active). Unfortunately EB don't make a fullsize mono 25k volume pedal so I just assumed that the 250k version would be fine. Before I start modifying it I'm going to have to do some more thorough listening (the only time I've heard it so far was at a jazz workshop because I'm currently without power amp) but as you've got the choice, I'd recommend getting the 25k model.

Wish they'd released the Jr model earlier, the standard pedal is huge!

4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree but those silly guitarists don't. We still sell more full size pedals because they reckon they're easier to use in the heat of the moment. I think that's nonsense. I actually wonder if any of them have actually seen the Jrn pedal. They probably imagine it to be smaller than a typical boss type pedal which it's not.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you think standard EB's are big, I'm using a Morley volume!!! Now THAT's huge! At least twice the size of an Ernie.
  6. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    What exactly is the size of the jr? Is it somewhere around the size of crybaby, or smaller?
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    the standard one about the same size as a crybaby, maybe a bit higher off the ground. And it's metal, not plastic.